Chapter 63

I pull the cage door open and the wolf jumps out, staring down the dozen Raven troops entering the room. They raise their guns to him but he seems to laugh.

Zoey, they are in my way.

"Go get 'em then."

Jack ignites his arms in flames and Aspen reveals knives that have been discretely hidden in his coat sleeves. I clench my fists, feeling a swell of emotions starts to show. "How are we going to go at this?" Jack asks.

We both look to Aspen. He shrugs and says, "Don't die." With that, he charges into the group of troops, throwing knife after knife. He takes out at least six troops in one attack.

Jack smirks and runs to the other side of the room, flaunting his flames with an adventurous danger in his eyes. His bullet wound doesn't seem to bother him much anymore, his adrenaline is far to high. Raven troops are still flooding through the door, and a particular group seems to set their sights on me. I smile and wait for them to charge.

"Where is she?" Kian asks the dispatch on the radio.

"We've spotted her in a training room in the eastern hallways. We have troops attacking, but she's not alone," the Raven troop reports.

"Who's with her?"

"We've confirmed White Shadow, a fellow student with flame power, and a small sized wolf creature."

Kian scoffs, "A wolf creature? We have her shape shifting friend right here."

Flame nods, "It's a real wolf. I had it brought in so we could train Beast with it."

"Not the smartest idea, Flame."

Flame shrugs and says, "He'll be on Zoey's side. She was able to figure out a way to talk with him and she managed to gain his loyalty."

"Since when could she talk to animals?" Kian asks.

"Since when could she be able to do anything?" Flame stands, "Oh right, when you had the brilliant idea of giving her an ability steroid."

"I thought after everything that her family and compound lied to her about, she would be happy to join a trustful team for once."

"I told you she wasn't like that."

Kian grumbles and then returns to the radio, "Capture them and bring them to the cafeteria. I'll have a surprise for our sweet Zoey."

"How long have you been able to talk with animals?" Aspen throws a powerful kick into one of the troops and sends him flying into the wolf's claws.

"I don't know, he was the first animal I've encountered since I got to the compound," I say, skipping over a body on the floor and engaging in another fight with a Raven troop. We fight for a bit, then I send him flying with my emotion waves.

Aspen seems to take this into consideration, "That's very unique."

"No one else could do that?" I ask, searching for my next victim.

"Only you."

"What do you think it means?"

"I don't know, maybe it's the mix of your mother's ability and mine causing you to sense what the wolf would be trying to say and then being able to understand it."

I crescent kick a Raven from behind and follow it with an anger filled punch to the gut. I'm starting to feel the affects of these emotional hits, but I can't quit now. We need to beat them, I need to get to Beast. With each hit, I lose more and more of my strength and resilience. One more Raven tries to attack me and I manage to fight him off. I send him flying, but find myself on the floor dazed and weak.