Chapter 53

"No, no Shawn!" Flame shouts.

"I did exactly what you told me to do!" Shawn complains.

They've been at this for awhile now. I look over at Beast, trying to show a mutual laughter at the situation, but I see he's not paying attention to them, much less me. Flame tries to explain to Shawn what he wants for the fourth time. I decide since he's not watching, I talk to Beast.

"Hey."

"What do you need?" He asks without looking at me. He's so focused on the sleeping wolf, I almost just want to leave him alone.

"You're right," I say and he glances to me, "I am hiding something, and you're right, I have lying to you. But listen, I know I don't deserve it at all but I need you to trust me."

"Trust is earned, Zoe. And you haven't done anything to gain it from me."

"I think it goes the same way," I say. He looks me dead in the eyes and I say, "What are you an Mac doing? You've been speaking to him without telling any of us."

"If you think for a second I'm working with him on something, then you're wrong. I spoke to him a few times, yes. But that was only because he was concerned around Jack's recent behavior. What worried me more was about you and your recent absence."

"You don't need to worry about me."

He takes a step towards me, "Yes I do, Zoey."

I look away, knowing I just made the situation worse. "What did you guys find out?"

"Excuse me?

"Things aren't as they seem, you and Mac are correct on that. What did you guys figure out?"

"Not a lot. We are planning to confront Jack though. He's been acting the most weird out of everyone." Suddenly I hear a snarl behind Beast.

"Oh look who's awake," Beast sighs turning around.

"Have you figured anything out?" I ask him while I close the last bit of the gap by standing beside him.

"Yeah. I found out he hates me even more than I thought he did." He kneels beside the wolf cage, "I shouldn't blame him though. I know I totally would hate my situation if I was stuck in this stupid cage."

The cage is big enough to where the wolf can walk around a bit, but small enough to keep him annoyingly contained. "So you don't have any idea how to tame him?"

"Nope. I've just succeeded in making him angrier."

"Beast! Get over here!" Flame shouts. "Maybe he'll understand what I'm saying," he mumbles.

"I'll be right back," He says as he starts to run over to Flame and Shawn.

I look at the wolf and he starts growling at me. I kneel where Beast was, and sit on my legs facing the front of the cage. "You must be so scared, trapped behind steel bars like that." His growls lessen, but he's still alert. "How old are you anyways? You seem like a baby." He's still hesitant. "Listen, why don't I cut you a deal? You be nice to Beast and I'll help you escape."

Liar.

I freeze. Who said that? I look around hoping to find Marcus, but there's no one around me.

Really? It is me, you idiot.

My eyes drift to the wolf that's lying down in the cage. "You?"

Yes. Finally someone that can hear me. You know that tall boy should have at least tried. After all he is the one that needs to tame me. Not you.