Chapter 35

I open the door and Trish jumps off her bed right away. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I say, "but Beast is a little roughed up."

"What happened to him?"

"His uncle came into the infirmary and attacked him."

"Uncle? I didn't think Beast knew his family."

"He doesn't, his uncle just showed up and started yelling at him. Beast didn't know what to do."

I start to walk over to my bed and Trish says, "I see your ankle is better."

"I managed to heal it in the panic of trying to help Beast."

"Is he alright? What happened to his uncle?"

"Beast's in his room resting, and his uncle was detained and will be taken off the premises."

Trish's shoulders relax. She lays down on her bed. "That's terrible."

"It's all over now," I reply. "He'll be resting for the remainder of today."

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, I just wish he didn't get hurt on my behalf."

Trish sits up, "Zoe it wasn't your fault."

"If I hadn't hurt my stupid ankle, he would have been safe."

"Not necessarily," Trish argues.

I look at her with frustrated confusion. 

Trish moves over to my bed and sits beside me, "See, if you didn't hurt your ankle, then the uncle would have broke into the training room. Knowing our group, we probably would all be in the infirmary or resting in our rooms right now. We would have all tried to protect Beast, and all gotten hurt."

"You're saying it's okay that only Beast got hurt?"

"No, I'm saying—"

"It should have been me," I say softly.

"Zoe," Trish says my name sternly.

"What?" I stand, "I should have done something! I'm such a screw up! My idiocy caused Beast to get injured."

"Zoe you didn't cause Beast's uncle to want to hurt him."

"I caused him to get hurt!"

"No!" Trish stands, "No you didn't! Stop taking the blame for things you couldn't control!"

"I can't!" I shout. Silence ripple through the air, "I can't," my voice cracks. Trish looks disappointed in me. I can tell she's done with me right now, so I say, "I need a walk."

"Go ahead, I'll meet you at the arena for the fight," She walks to the bathroom and I walk out of our room.

I shove me hands in my pockets and look to the floor. What is wrong with me? I know Trish is just trying to help. I know she just cares, but I can't accept it. Is it because I don't believe her? Maybe I just don't like acceptance.

Maybe I made the wrong choice going here. If I had just stayed home... I wouldn't have dealt with all this. It's ridiculous that I even tried making my life better.

Someone suddenly checks me and I lose my balance. I find the wall quickly and I'm able to stable myself. "Hey," I shout, but once I look back I realize I shouldn't have. "Jack..."

He looks back at me, and I see anger in his eyes. I start to back up, really not wanting to be near him alone. He opens his mouth and I expect to hear a curse, but instead he says, "Your brother is looking for you."