Chapter 51

I get to the arena just as the bell rings. It's mostly empty except for the few early birds like me. I remember what this place felt like when I was the only person in here.

Well, my father and me.

I walk around the curved walkway and find a place near the top. I love it up here. I can see anything and everything I want to. I sit down and slowly watch the people funnel in. Groups are laughing and joking around. I'm glad they have a place where they can be themselves.

I watch the entrance nearest me, and finally I see Shawn pop his head out. Beast follows him and they start to look for me. I wave a hand and Beast spots me first. They make their way to me when I realize Trish isn't behind them.

Beast sits beside me and I ask, "Where's Trish?"

"Mole called her out a few minutes after you left. She seemed like she was in a rush."

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

"I don't know, Mole told us just to go to the arena without her."

This news unsettles me. I hope Trish didn't do anything to get in trouble.

"Good evening Omega!" Mr. X announces, causing the arena to go quiet with excitement. "Today marks the day of our semifinals." A cheer erupts in the crowd.

"Really?" Beast questions, "Since when?" He turns to me surprised. I can't believe we got this far either.

"For our first match, I call forward Pride and Plic!" the crowd cheers and the two trainers walk out. They go through the motions and pick the first fight. The kids walk on and a minute later, they start fighting.

I watch for awhile, not really interested. I already know who's going to win. Right away the clear winner is the mind controller. I think she's telekinetic, but I don't really care. 

Suddenly I feel a turn in my stomach. My head clouds and I bend over trying my best to hold in the little food I actually ate. "Zoe, you okay?" Beast asks. He puts a hand on my shoulder and my nerves erupt. I pull away quickly and nearly fall out of my chair. Beast keeps asking me if I'm okay, but I can't hear him. I soon recognize this sickening feeling. This clouded, confused head. This numbness yet hyperactive senses. I know it all too well. 

I don't get why this is coming to me now, but I can't ignore it.

"I have to go," I mumble. I stand and nearly fall but Beast catches me. He helps me out of the seating and down the steps. I'm now wishing I didn't sit so far up. People don't notice us. Someone in the center just did something crazy amazing, because the crowd erupts in cheers. I feel like my ears are bleeding from the loudness. I cover them and Beast helps guide me out and I think Shawn is following us. We get out of the arena and I stumble to the wall with Beast's help. Anxiety builds in me and my hands start shaking violently. 

"Zoey," Beast stands in front of me, keeping me from falling to the floor. "We need to get you to the infirmary." 

"No."

"No?"

"No, I need to get to...Trish," I stumble through my words. Oh my god, Trish. I don't know why I know, or how I know. I just do. I just know this is happening right now. I need to get to Trish.

"What about Trish? What's going on?" Shawn asks. I get up, but then stumble again as a wave of pain hits me. Beast helps steady me. 

"Zoe, wait. Let's slow down, tell us what's going on."

"Trish needs us," I'm racked again with stomach twisting pain, and I fall to the floor despite Beast's aid. 

"How do you know?" Shawn asks. "Where is she?"