Chapter 25

I can't move. His eye contact freezes me in place. He doesn't belong here, that is obvious. But then why would he be here? I feel like I've seen him before, but I always feel that way. His gray eyes remind me of Phillip's eyes. The way he's sitting, I know he's over six feet tall. Way over. He looks like he's in his late thirties, but he looks good still. He seems still young at heart. The man's wearing a black hoodie, with the hood up. I can't really see his hair, but I know what color it is. Maybe that's why I recognize him. The man has white hair. He's too young to have full white hair like that. This means he's had it before. 

He pulls me from my thoughts with a smile. 

"Zoe!" Trish practically pulls me to the floor. I look away for the white haired man and to her, "Did you see me out there? I was amazing!" Her smile relaxes me. It's not like the mans, but it looks the same. It's crazy how a smile can differ from person to person and reason to reason.

I look back to where the man was, but he's gone. "Hey Trish, why don't you go tell Shawn about your match?" Beast offers. Trish nods and walks away yelling Shawn's name.

"Zoe?" Beast says quietly. He gently places his hand on my shoulder, "You okay?"

The guy was here for a reason. He wouldn't just leave like that. I have to figure out who he was, and by doing that I'll know how I know him. But, for now, his empty seat won't help me. Having Beast worry about me won't help either. I rip my eyes from the empty seat and look to Beast, "Yeah, I'm good."

I know he doesn't believe me, but he can't argue. Bruce's voice sounds through the stadium, "From the Black Bulls, Ulrich Leming!"

We watch him as he trots out with a wave and a fake little smile. I see Flame roll his eyes when Leming blows a kiss to the front row of girls. They scream and I find myself laughing. He's not even that elite of a fighter. He's barely even a fighter, but an offensive healer. 

Once the crowd quiets down, Flame picks a name and says, "From the Forgotten, Zoey Ram!" He tries to sounds excited, but I can hear nerves in his voice. His arm still looks like it's giving him pain. I have a feeling he did something to it, and it involves a little rat. Or Mole.

There's got to be a reason why this Mole guy has appeared. If he's been gone for so long, Mr. X wouldn't bring him back without a reason. I think it might have something to do with the activity of the other compounds. If my brother was right in the information he gave me, then Mr. X might be gathering an army. Great. If I cause a super human war...

"Zoe, are you going to walk out?" Beast asks me. My stomach drops. I didn't even realize Flame called my name. "You'll do fine," Beast says leading me to the door. "I know you will."

"You also know that I'll freeze up."

"We both know that you can dig in, and find the ability to move," Beast says. I'm at the door but I don't want to go out.

"Be lucky you aren't fighting Neil. I guess it's gonna be a head to head shifting battle."

Beast is right. I should feel lucky I'm fighting the healer. I still shouldn't underestimate him, but same goes with overestimating him. Estimations can be so hard.

I take my first step into the arena, and the people that see me start cheering. If you think about it, this is kind of useless. I mean, I know the seniors or whatever fight to see if they can graduate from the training division, but what about the rest of us? Why do we have to fight? It's just silly.

As I make my way to the center, the crowd picks up the noise just like how my heart picks up its rhythm. It's basically the only thing I can hear right now, and it's getting louder.