Chapter 55

"This is useless!" Shawn shouts at Flame.

"Well maybe if you knew what you were doing, you'd be able to figure this out!"

"It's not exactly easy considering who's trying to teach me."

"What's he trying to learn, anyways?" Beast asks as he leans on the wall beside me. 

I pull myself away from listening to the two argue and look at Beast asking, "You don't know?"

"Well I've kinda been busy coaxing a wolf to come near me so no, I don't know."

I shake my head and explain, "Flame's trying to get Shawn to turn people invisible."

"That's possible?" Beast asks. He's aware of such a feat that is.

"It'll take time, but I know Shawn can learn how. He's a talented kid," I move away from the wall and Beast follows me.

"Hey, Zoe. I've been thinking..."

I turn around to him and say, "Me too."

"I'm sorry, for bothering you about Jack during breakfast. It isn't my choice if you befriend him or not. It's just, you don't know what Jack is going to try—"

"And apparently I wouldn't know that about you either," I blurt. He looks away and I start to apologize but he cuts me off.

"I just want you to be careful," he leans in closer and whispers, "Trust isn't really a luxury we have right now."

Oh for the love of Luna, can you two just stop flirting?

I look back and make eye contact with the wolf, who is impatiently pacing his small cage. Beast cautiously asks, "Everything alright?"

I nod and say, "Yeah. How far are you in your progress with the wolf?"

"It's gotten better. He'll look at me now at least."

He's boring.

"No he isn't," I mumble.

"What?"

I sigh, "Nothing." I walk over to the wolf and say, "What have you tried?"

"Anything Flame mentioned, but none of it works. He just refuses to respect me.

He needs to earn his respect. 

"Try earning it," I suggest. The wolf makes a scoff and turns his back to us.

"How would I do that?"

"Show him respect first. He sees you as a lower being. Show him you are equal."

"That's great advice, but how am I going to do this?"

The bell for lunch rings and Flame says, "Go ahead. And make sure to come to the matches tonight. It's the last night before the finals."

"That's going to be fun to watch," Beast adds sarcastically. It was supposed to be our match tonight, but with Trish taking a leave of absence, we were disqualified. The sudden condition of Beast made it official that we couldn't fight.

"You ready, Zoe?" Beast asks.

"Yeah just give me five minutes." I look to him and say, "Go ahead without me".

"You sure?"

"Yeah, don't worry I'll catch up."

He nods reluctantly and meets up with Shawn to walk out. 

"He's not too bad," I tell the wolf as Beast walks out.

He's worse than you.

I frown at it, "How bad am I?"