Chapter 8: "The Curious Case Of The 'I Love You'"

Aislynn clutched at him like he was the only thing left. They were both a mess and as she held him, he held her too. Desperate hands grasping at each other. She sobbed into his shoulder, his own tears staining her shirt. 

"I'm sorry," she howled, reaching up on tiptoes to bury her face into his neck. "I-I did all I could. They took her from me, ya wouldn't believe how hard I fought."

He didn't reply, just pressed a gentle kiss to her cheek.

"It's all my fault," she sniffed, his warmth radiating through her body. "I tried, I tried so hard but I couldn't do it. They took him from me first and then her and I tried so hard to hold onto both of them and now they're both gone."

"We'll get them back," he offered, his own voice choked.

"Michonne," she said, her own voice indicating she had more to say. "Michonne escaped and went looking for him. T-They just took Judy from me, she was screaming, crying like ya wouldn't believe and I let her down. She's dead, I'm so sorry."

He intook a sharp breath, releasing his hold on her. "What d'you mean?"

She met his eyes, her two hands grasping his biceps. "They held a hand over her mouth until she stopped screaming."

"They s-suffocated her?"

She nodded, beginning to let more swollen tears escape from her eyes. "She was so limp," she rasped. "She just laid there and then they handed her to me and she was still warm."

"You got to hold her?"

"I did," she said gently. "She was beautiful, peaceful even. I should've tried harder, I should've fought like you and Michonne would've. They should've taken my life, not his or Judy's or-"

"Don't," he warned. "You deserve to live just as much as them."

"Is it weird if I say I love you?" she whispered as he pulled her gently into his chest.

His chest collapsed a few heavy breaths before he shook his head, leaning down to whisper in her ear. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said, laughing brokenly.

They clutched at each other, surprised by their closeness. They'd found comfort in each other's arms, comfort they were both overwhelmingly seeking.

Sometimes, a home is not a place but a person. Aislynn wasn't sure if he counted as a home but he could've.

"I love you," he repeated, needing to hear those words. He hadn't heard them in so long.

"I love you too," she soothed. "We can survive together, ya know? Aislynn and Rick off to save the world," she said, falsely laughing. "We could have our own show on cable or something."

"I'd like that," he replied, almost smiling at her childish naivetés.

The 'I love you' easily became a thing. Even if they weren't romantically inclined, whenever the other needed comfort or a few kind words, an 'I love you' was always uttered.

It was just over two weeks after they had found each other and they had decided to stick close to Terminus, hiding in the woods. They needed to stay- like their people would.

"I miss him," Aislynn admitted, chewing the already raw lower part of her lip.

"Me too," the man replied, scratching his beard.

"I... I miss kissing him, ya know?"

"I don't," Rick said, waiting for her to laugh but she didn't.

"I miss those ridiculous promises he used to make. Promises of perfect things and of growing up and living, actually living. Not eating from cans but cooking in a kitchen; our kitchen."