Chapter 1: "Dearest Loved Ones:"

The walker stumbled towards them, Rick's face frozen with fear and shock realization.

"Get up!" Daryl barked, grabbing his shirt and tugging him to his feet. "We've gotta go."

The walker, once formally known as Chloe, reached a rotting hand towards them, the sound of gunfire now distinct in the distant.

"Chloe?" the Sheriff sobbed, trying to get to her but his friend wouldn't let him. "No, no. You're not- You're not one of them. Chloe!"

"Come on, we've gotta get out of here and get the group together. You need to let her go."

His friend spun on him, "Yeah? And when will you give Beth up? Atleast she's alive."

Daryl stared, considering the words before he buried his knife in the skull of the decaying body of Chloe. "This is different," he argued. "Chloe's dead, Beth isn't."

"She might be," Rick spat, immediately regretting his harsh words.

The redneck ignored him, turning and sprinting towards the open door to the prison. He needed to get his family out of there and if he couldn't, they'd all be dead. He just prayed to whatever God existed that he keep the ones he loved safe, unlike Merle and his father and mother.

A few bodies lie in a heap on the ground, unrecognisable. Daryl crept along the concrete floor of his home, crossbow in hand and prepared for whatever came around the corner. Their was the sound of babies crying but they were so distant that he had no hope of reaching the child in time to silence it.

"Rick, get Judith and Carl out of here!" he barked, hoping his friend heard him. "I'll get the others."

"You got it," came the close reply and upon further inspecting the darkness behind him, he could see the outline of Rick.

Without another word, they both departed separate ways, hoping to see one another once again after the second battle for the prison this week.

"Daryl?" asked a voice and when the crossbow-wielding man turned, he saw Carl holding both the children; Nevaeh and Judith.

"Your dad is looking for you, come on," he growled, motioning behind him. "You'll have to carry the two kids, I'll protect you guys."

"Have you seen Beth?" the teenager asked. "Last I saw her, she was shooting at a few invaders."

"By herself?" Daryl barked, angry. "You let her do that herself?"

"She's capable, Daryl .Besides , she said she could do it and I trust her to. I'll take these two to my father and you go find her, she could use some help."

The redneck considered it but shook his head. "I have to keep you safe, I promised ya dad. Besides, like you said, Beth can handle herself. We should trust her."

Daryl paused outside Beth's cell then stepped inside it quietly. "I have to get something, wait here. Call if you need help, 'kay?"

"Be quick," Carl hissed.

Daryl nodded to him then began ruffling underneath his ex-girlfriend's mattress. It sure sounded creepier than it was.

His hands immediately found the note and he grinned to himself, pocketing it. She'd written it a while ago and made him promise that he'd give it to Rick, Carl, Nevaeh, Aislynn, Chloe, Judith and Michonne if she died or was never again. He'd refused at first but there he was, pocketing what seemed like the last words she'd ever say to him on a decaying piece of paper that could in no way ever describe how she truly loved him.

This was all before she'd broken his heart, of course.

The note was addressed to eight people, including Chloe and Aislynn but they were both long gone. When he'd opened the note, he'd be a fool not to notice both of their names were rewritten and a large line was drawn through both of them as if she'd rubbed it out; almost as if she'd crossed them off her list then changed her mind. Ever the hopeful she was, she probably still believed they were both still alive.