Hunting Shadows (Chapter 9)

Chapter 9:

I woke up to a bright light shining in my eyes. I turned my head trying to get away from the annoying light. Someones hand moved my head back towards it. I squinted against the white light, my eyes finally focused on a womans face. She smiled at me.

"Finally, I was starting to worry that you were in a coma."

My head was throbbing. "I... what?" I put a hand to my head trying to make the headache dissapear. To my disappointment it didn't work.

"You lost a lot of blood Blaire. Hunter Rainier was worried for you when he brought you in." Events of my first incounter with a Vampire flashed through my mind. I sat up hastily looking around the room.

"Don't worry Rainier will be back shortly. He had to go get something to eat."

I sighed of relief as I laid back down on the soft fluffy pillows. The doctor left after that leaving me alone in this small blue room.

I never liked hospital rooms. No matter how hard they tried at making it seem like home it still felt like a prison. Plus they made me feel claustrophobic, so I tried to avoid them as best as I could.

A soft knock at the door pulled me out of my rambiling thoughts. "Come in." I said with a hoarse voice.

Zane appeared in the doorway, hair lightly grazing the doors wooden frame. "Hope I didn't wake you." He said as he sat down in the chair next to the bed.

I shook my head, not trusting my voice around him. He contined to stare at me, making my face turn hot as I looked away from those dark blue eyes. Silence fell heavy in the small room making me much more uncomfortable.

He finally broke the silence. "How's your arm doing?" His question suprised me, I had forgotten all about it.

I looked down to observe it but was met with a huge bandage wrapped around where the wound most likely was. It started to burn as soon as I gave it my attention. I squirmed in my bed trying not to scream from the pain.

Zane saw my uncomfortable position, he moved quickly, appearing next to my bedside. He placed a hand on the bandage, for some reason his gentle touch made the burning subside. He glanced back up at me, meeting my eyes, face full of compassion.

The Zane I saw the night we were attacked was entirely different from the Zane in front of me. That night he had been nothing but a bad ass. He was entirely focused on killing those two Vampires. He had moved at such an impossible speed that I couldent stop thinking about it. He didn't hesitate in killing them.

the girls face flashed through my thoughts. He had killed her for me. I found myself thinking of what happened to the man.

I had seen him stake the girl but not the boy, had he gotten away? Or did Zane dispose of his body before going after the girl? I had to ask, despite of my voices current condition.

"What happened to the guy?" My voice cracking at every word. I cursed my voice for sounding that way.

His face hardened. "He got away, I was about to kill him. But when you... when you screamed I stopped, I couldent stand not helping you. You were in danger, I had to save you."

My heart made a fluttering motion inside my chest. He had saved me because he couldent stand seeing me fend for myself. But the part where the guy got away stopped my fluttering heart. It was bad enough that Zane had hesitated to kill the guy because of me, but it was worse that he had let him escape.

I wanted to change the subject badly. "How did they get in? I thought this school was protected."

Zane nodded. "It is but we can't keep all of them out. All Vampires are highly allergic to silver, but older Vampires have a higher tolarence to it."

"What does silver have anything to do with them breaking into the school?"

"The fences are made out of silver only, its to ward the Vampires off, but older ones can get through it with little pain. They come in hoping to catch some teenagers wondering off into the woods, sometimes they're luky sometimes they aren't. Like three nights ago."

I sat up quickly. Too fast for my throbbing head, ignoring that I asked, "three nights ago? That's how long I have been asleep?" Never before in my life had I slept that long. Even when I had a concussion.

Zane was caught off guard by my sudden outburst. "Yes, Vampire scratches are leathal. She had cut you pretty deep." His face hardened once again, angry at what happened to me.

"Hey its okay, I'm alive, that's all that matters." I said trying to reassure him.

"Yes but that still doesent stop the memory of that night." He said as he stood up walking away from me. I was about to ask him where he was going when he stopped me. "Get some rest, I'll be back in tomorrow to answer more questions." He walked out of the small room. Making me feel alone once again.

I laid back on my pillows not really feeling tired when to my suprise sleep came fast.

*

*

*

*