Hunting Shadows (Chapter 8)

Chapter 8:

I caught up to Airlia, walking along side of her she looked down and smiled at me. I couldent help but think of her as an older sister, always looking out for me. She along with everyone else at this school accepted me for who I was. Airlia had taken me under her wing as if we had been best friends forever.

"So how'd ur practice go with Rainier?"

We walked into one of the main buildings, a loud humming sound rang in my ears as we walked past groups of teenagers huddled together whispering. "Good I guess."

She raised one perfect eyebrow. "You guess?"

I shrugged as she stoped us in front of my Chemistry class. "Yeah I mean I understand why he's such a bad ass and all but his trainings are brutal to my hands." I said out of annoyance as I looked down at my now weathered hands.

Airlia laughed. "Yep training in this weather will do that to you." I looked at her with utter anoyance. "Don't worry they'll heal and you'll have some hard calluses."

I groaned. "I don't want rough hands."

"Lotion." And with that she walked off. I had to resist the urge to knock some sense into her.

Sighing I walked into my Chemistry class, happy to see Mason waving me down. I sat in the empty desk next to him. He smiled but didn't have time for anything else because the bell rang and Mr black started class.

There was a lot of book work, something the old and new Blaire despised. In fact all my classes were the same: bookwork and a whole lot of homework.

lunch time finally came around and I found myself more than happy to get the hell out of those classes. I was eager to find Airlia and have some social time with my new friends. I was halfway across campus when I saw Zane walking the opposite direction. I had been meaning to ask him a question after lunch but I couldent wait anylonger. So much for social time.

Zane saw me and slowed his long strides to match my smaller ones. "I have a question." I said as we kept on walking further away from campus. The deeper into the woods we went the darker it got. I suddenly felt safe around Zane.

"I figured since you're the only teenager that I know of that isn't spending all their valuble moments with their friends."

I huffed. "I'm not like most teenagers." I said as I pulled my jacket closer to my body, the ice cold wind was no match for my snow jacket. I smiled at the fact of one upping Mother Nature.

Zane nodded not taking his eyes off of the dirt path we had been walking on. "I've noticed. You've got more spark in your attitude."

I looked at him curiously. "Is... is that a good thing?"

Zane tried to hide a smile. "Yes, in fact it is. Now what's your question?"

His sudden change in topic caught me off guard. I found myself racking my brain for the question. At last I found it. "Where did you get the scars from?"

This made him stop. His face fell into straight lines. I took a step back afriad I just unleashed a beast that had been hidden inside of him for a long time. "A Shadow Vampire."

He stayed silent for a long time. I cleared my throat pushing him a little further. "H-how?" I cursed myself for being so small and weak around him. Something I haven't been since my parents died,

He continued to stare straight ahead, clearly lost in the memory. "My older sister had moved out before my parents death. Hating what she was. Anyways afer they died I went to her, hoping I could start a new life with her. Only to my suprise I found her cornered with her boyfriend. A Shadow Vampire cornered them.

"I had never faced one before in my life, so you can imagine how scared I was. All I had for a wepon was my stake. It heard me coming of course and attacked me, taking me as the bigger threat.

"I had dodged it slightly, the only problem was that she had scratched me with her nails, causing this," he pointed to the white scars on his face. "To stay with me forever. Long story short I killed her, saved my sister and her boyfriend and got a battle scar out of it."

He really had a hard life, harder than mine. And that was saying a lot. I was about to tell him how sorry I was for him when he stopped and went stiff. Searching around the woods franticly. I opened my mouth to ask what was wrong when he put a hand over my mouth. His other hand brought a finger to his lips. Motioning me to stay silent. I nodded, heart pounding in my ears.

He pulled out his stake putting himself in front of me. I couldent help but notice how all of his muscles seemed to tighten up and flexed as he stood still and prepared. Prepared for what?

I got my answer with a earth shatterng scream. A person jumped out of the dark forest heading straight for. Me.

Only he hit Zane instead. Well Zane had thrown himself in front of me. Zane and the guy fell to the floor wrestling and struggling to overpower one another. My full attention was on Zane and the guy that I didn't notice a girl was lurking in the shadows until she attacked me.

I screamed as we both fell to the floor, she pinned me to the wet grass. Making it impossible to escape her iron tight grip. Under the moonlight she looked like what I had imagined death to look like. I then noticed her sharp teeth, which were where her canine teeth should have been. And then it all hit me. Fangs.

I had a Vampire sitting in me, most likely ready to rip my throat out. My full attention switched to the Demon sitting on me. The fight going on around me was muted as I continued to stare at those sharp sharp teeth.

I closed my eyes ready to be killed when suddeny the Vampire was thrown off of me landing several feet away. I sat up quickly. Zane had thrown her off and was now squaring off with her. The two circling eachother like wolves ready to rip eachothers throats out. She bared her fangs at Zane, hissing as she tried to move towards him with insanly fast speed. He moved just as quickly, and I finally got a good look at his face. Hard as stone, his eyes shone with hatred for the Vampire. I shivered at his new expression that was on his face.

She moved again and this time he drove the stake through her chest. She gasped before falling to the ground, lifeless.

Zane stared at her for one more moment before rushing over to me. Kneeling down to my level his eyes scanned my body, checking for injuries. His eyes lingered on my arm, I looked down, noticing there was a huge gash in my jacket and blood oozing out of it.

Without a word Zane scooped me up into his arms and against his chest, running fast towards the school. The blood loss made me nauseous as he continued to run at a speed that seemed almost impossible. Considering my weight.

The last thing I remember was being rushed through the schools grounds, faces danced in my spotty vision, faces of my friends.

And then darkness.

*

*

*

*