Hunting Shadows (Chapter 6)

• Dedicated to Lucas Marzocco

Chapter 6:

Zane wasn't kidding either when he said we had a lot of work to do. Despite my protests he made me wear sweatpants and made me do a lot of body building. I was surprised at how much I could lift. Never in my life was I able to lift something that heavy before. Zane laughed at the expression on my face.

"Your body is improving every day. Every hour you get stronger, and faster. That's what distinguishes us from the humans. They could never be able to improve their body as fast as we can."

I looked down at my hands still in shock at what they were capable of . I didn't look up at Zane as I asked, "whats the difference between humans and us?" Besides the fact that we were ten times stronger then the average human.

His answer shocked me even more. "We're half vampire and half human." I opened my mouth to ask my next question but he cut me off. "When man first walked the Earth there were three different species. The humans of course think there was one, but their version of how man was created is totally different from ours.

"Humans, Vampires, and Witches walked the Earth since day one. Back then there wasn't any conflicts like there were now. The three species all lived peacefully together.

"Of course the three decided that they had to populate the world, so the Vampire and human got together. Creating what runs through your veins. Later on the Witch was added in the mix making the Shadow Vampire.

"The Witch found the Vampire sucking the blood out of the first human. She was devastated and thought he was hurting her friend. So she lit him on fire with her Powers. The problem continued when the Hunters found out the Shadow Vampire was killing their people.

"That's where it all started, why we are trained to kill off the Vampires and Shadow Vampires. Our kind made a vow a long time ago to rid the Earth of evil. Even though half of the evil runs through our veins. We promised to protect the humans from what they believe is only a faerie tale."

I sat there processing what he said. Vampire, Witches and Shadow Vampires? I always thought the first two were just part of nightmares, scary stories people made up for their own entertainment. Not something that actually walked the Earth.

"You mean one of my parents was a Vampire?"

Zane laughed. "No that hasn't happened in centuries. We can't create our own kids, but one of your parents had to be a Hunter in order to create you. The other was a human. Your mix genes make you capable of killing the demons."

The next part hit me hard. I will have to kill these things. That was a huge problem. I couldn't see myself in the future killing something that was supposedly so powerful that more than half of my kind were dieing from it.

"What's the difference from a Vampire and a Shadow Vampire?" My voice came out small and weak. I scowled at myself for showing weakness around a guy like Zane.

"Vampires are easier to kill."

I looked up from my hands, he didn't say anymore. The look in his eyes made me shiver. They were cold, and reminded me of ice cubes as he stared down at me. He broke our gaze, staring off into the distance, sorrow masked his features. He look like a child, obviously remembering a horrid memory. Something I would probably hide from.

Moments past before he looked at me and tried to smile, it almost worked. "Well its getting late, and you should head off to your next classes. I don't want to hold you in for more than you need to be."

He stalked out, leaving me alone in theempty room.

My next classes were easier than I had imagined. The first class talked about the techniques that we will learn, and how to do it. Luckily I was paired up with Mason. It made me feel better that I was fighting someone I knew.