Hunting Shadows (Chapter 1)

• Dedicated to Michael Ackley

Chapter 1:

“I have to go back for them!”

“You’re parents are dead Blaire. Let them go.” The tall man in a police uniform shook me violently, trying to get me to snap out of it.

Hot tears ran down my face as I shook my head. They couldn’t be dead. I had just seen them. Their smiling faces flashed through my mind for about the thousandth time. It couldn’t be real.

I looked back at the car wreck behind the tall man’s frame. Seeing the gore scene made me thrash around, squirming out of the tall man’s grip. I managed to take three steps away from him before he turned around lighting fast and grabbed my wrist. He pulled me back into his embrace in another second. This time making it impossible for me to escape. I finally gave up after a minute of trying to break loose again.

He leaned down next to my ear and whispered, “I’m sorry there’s nothing I can do. You’ll have to move on.”

That had been two years ago, when my life had changed drastically. I had moved away from New York, to the quiet state of Washington. Far away from that horrid memory. But even distance couldn’t prevent the nightmares that happened every night. They all were the same, blood, metal, and the fierceness of that man’s grip trying to stop me from seeing my dead parents.

I grimaced from the memory as I sat in the back of a huge black van. Last week I had gotten a letter in the mail saying that the Shadow School wanted me. All I knew about the school was it was like a college. With only teenagers and teachers. As well as dorms and high quantity restaurants. It would sound awesome if I didn’t hate people.

Well more like distrust them. Ever since my parents had died I shut out everyone who talked to me, or tried to make conversation. My parent’s murderer was still out there. And until he was proven dead I refuse to speak to anyone. My silence had made me the way I am now. I used to have it all. Popular friends, an amazing boyfriend, and all the money a girl could ever want. But since the accident all that was gone.

I became an outcast and outsider. I grew out my long red hair and dyed it black. I also added gothic makeup to my facial attire. Something my parents would highly disprove of. The only way I could hide from the lingering stares I seemed to create was to have a mask and long hair to hide behind. The gothic clothing also helped me hide in its own way. It expressed my true feelings and it seemed to ward people off. Which was exactly what I wanted, I wanted people to leave me alone, to stay away from me. My parent’s death wasn’t something I could just get over.

I had lived with my aunt before leaving to go to this lame school. It wasn’t my choice either; I liked my old school even though I had no friends. I was treated like a ghost there. I didn’t mind it I liked being alone. It gave me more time to think and I have been doing that a lot lately. But it was my aunt who forced me to go. She said only a select few in the US qualified to get in the school. Lucky me.

I sighed as I pressed my head against the cold glass. It was raining hard and freezing cold. Welcome to Washington. We drove deeper into the forest. It took forever, so long that I started to wonder if we were lost. But that wonder was cut short when a tall gate approached the car.

It creaked as it opened; the guard let us through without checking in. The van was also the schools. I wasn’t looking forward to my new school at all. Teachers had complained about my behavior so much that I was forced into another school about every half year. This was my fifth school within two years. It should be a new world record.

As we drove up to the school I couldn’t help but stare. The school was European looking. Not to mention how fancy it was. I was afraid to even walk through the halls. Afraid I’d break some sacred statue or something. But what had my attention wasn’t the school’s buildings or breaking statues. It was the students. They were roaming around talking and laughing as we drove past them. What caught my eye was how fit they all looked. Not a fat kid in sight. Which was rare, considering us Americans. As I got a closer look they all had muscles. Even the girls.