Hunting Shadows (Chapter 7)

Chapter 7:

A soft knock on my bedroom door jolted me out of my deep sleep. Airlia stood in the doorway smiling at me. "Hey sleepyhead wake up."

I picked up the pillow I wasn't resting on and threw it at her. I could hear her laughter as I buried my head under a mountain of pillows. Go away. I thought, not having the strength to say it to her. Yet. To my disappointment she couldn't read minds.

She threw the pillow back at me making me grunt. "Airlia if you don't get out of my room I'm going to stake you."

This made her laugh harder. "It's almost time for school, you slept in."

That made me sit up immediately, causing my head to spin. I continued to sit there and stare at her. She was in sweatpants and a sweatshirt. From what I gathered at my time here this was definitely not her taste in clothing.

"What someone stole you're clothes?" She rolled her eyes as she crossed the few feet that separated us. Grabbing my arm she pulled me out of bed. I didn't like being woken up in the morning, and I hated the fact of someone literally dragging me out of my slumber.

"If you sleep in you're going to get in a lot of trouble. The adults here may be nice, but they hate slackers, and sleeping in to them means your slacking." I glared at her. "You should thank me for being so nice as to get you out of bed." That still didn't make me happy. She noticed this. "Consider this a one time thing, next time I'll have to poor ice cold water on you."

I laughed at her, not believing a word. "Yeah right, like you would do that to..."

The smirk on her face made my words travel off into silence. "Go ask Claire White, I did the same exact thing to her when she was new. She never slept in again." Airlia smiled at the memory of soaking a new kid. I shivered at the thought of being woken up that way.

"Can I at least get dressed?" I asked as she started to pull me towards the main door. She stopped and looked down at me, considering the idea.

Her face was thoughtful for a moment before she nodded and let me go. I quickly ran into the bathroom. Not bothering to take a shower, I pulled my hair up into a ponytail and added some makeup, but not as much as I normally would prefer. I stuck with red lipstick and some eyeliner, since Airlia kept banging on my door to hurry up.

I looked in the mirror shocked at my own reflection. The girl staring back at me didn't look like the Blaire I had grown to know. She looked like the old Blaire. Not counting the black hair. I stared at the stranger for a few more moments before joining Ailria.

She didn't notice the change in makeup. Something was preoccupying her as we walked down the hallway. I had put on normal shoes and a black sweatsuit. My normal clothes were in the bag that I had been carrying. Zane had made me do extra training sessions with him, before and after school. Which wasn't fair according to me. But like always my opinion didn't matter when it came to the school policies.

We met Zane in the lobby. He stood by the doorway leaning against the wall, he looked so graceful as he stood like he was half his height. He gave us that shocking smile as we both strode up to him. Airlia seemed to be calm around his presence. I envied her for that, I was no where near being calm around him.

We left Airlia alone in the lobby, Zane and I walked side by side, snow crunching under our feet. The silence between us grew as we walked towards the field that I had seen with Airlia yesterday. I couldn't help but notice how no one was up yet. The school's grounds were deserted as Zane and I walked in silence. I figured everyone was trying to get in enough sleep they could manage before school started. I found myself wanting to be one of those students instead of being out here in the cold night air alone with Zane.