Instrumentality

Case #1: The two that never were.

Uraraka.

The day was over and everything had changed. She was curled up on her bed, hugging her broccoli pillow. "Deku barely noticed me today." She was staring off with her thoughts.

'When it was Kodai's turn to sing Deku looked upset that she chose not to, he even objected to it.'

Was she the one with him last summer.

Uraraka clutched her pillow tighter. 'Could she have been?' She recalled seeing them in front of the All-Might statue, her holding his head up, mouthing words of encouragement. The blurry face Uraraka had pondered for the longest began to clear up. 'It was Kodai, wasn't it.'

Even if it was, how does that change anything? Deku and you are just friends.

'And that's all I want.' She rolled over, onto her stomach. She forced a smile, reflecting. "We've made a lot of strides these past few days!"

Of rebuilding your friendship?

'That's right.'

A friendship stranded in the past?

She shook her head. "No, we're making progress!"

To what end? How far is this 'friendship' supposed to go? Into a relationsh-

"Whatever happens between us, will happen!"

...And you're okay with that...

"No..." She was holding the pillow gently, before burying her face into it. "Why doesn't he notice me anymore?"

Is it really too late..?

Todoroki.

He had one arm over his forehead staring at the ceiling as he laid in bed. "Wow." Could have today been considered a date with Yaoyorozu?

Do you really believe that?

He shrugged his shoulders, debating his thoughts. "I don't see why not?"

Aren't dates supposed to be intimate?

"It kinda was." He let out a gentle sigh. "Her voice was..."

But she wasn't singing to you, or for you, was she?

"Who else could it have been?"

Better yet, does it even matter if she was?

"What does that mean?"

Why her? Why Yaoyorozu? Other than that one time when you studied with her, nothing has changed, there's nothing between you two... Almost as if you're holding yourself back.

"No, I've been making an effort."

A lack of effort. A lack of emotional connection. A lack of social connection. Have you even tried to understand her?

He almost bit his bottom lip. "Of course I do. She's-"

She is..?

"She's..."

Go on...

Todoroki grunted before rolling on his side. "I barely know anything about her."

Why do you think that is? Why are you constantly bothering Midoriya with this?

"Midoriya..."

His eyes glistened, before he rolled back on to his back, and placed his forearm over his eyes, hiding them.