Chapter 55

Rick's POV

It had been almost a week sense Daryl was shot. The group tiptoed around the farm afraid to say something that might make Sarah start to scream or cry, myself included. She kept herself busy by hunting and going on runs during the day or sitting in a chair next to Daryl's bedside at night. We had all worried about Daryl, who's condition had worsened and then had gotten better a few different times these past days.

His wounds had gotten infected which made him sick. Sarah went on a run and found Hershel the medicine Daryl needed. That night we didn't know if he was going to make it. Then Daryl's blood pressure spiked and Hershel needed some special type of other medicine to bring it down. Sarah went to the nearest medical school and got what he needed. That night, Hershel thought be wasn't going to make it, but he did. It seemed like he was never going to get better. She stayed with him every night. She would eat maybe once a day, claiming not to be hungry.

Jessica hadn't gone in to check on Daryl at all. She was probably afraid of Sarah. After he was shot, it was like they never had that fight that split them up. He was just hanging around with Jessica just to make her mad and most of all jealous. We all knew it. We all knew how much he cared for Sarah. Maybe even loved her. He would die for her and vice versa.

The first time I met her, she was this weak girl who literally fell into our hands. Now, she was this strong woman hunting and fighting to keep the man she loved alive. She would go on runs herself and went to the places that even we wouldn't go because they were overrun with walkers.

I would visit Daryl everyday. He was a good man. On the outside, he acted tough but he was a good man on the inside. He looked for Sophia when we had given up hope. Even though he didn't know it, Daryl was the heart of this group. Sure, not everyone liked him and many fights would start because of him but he was still the glue that held us all together. I just feel bad for Sarah, having to go on day by day, waiting for him to wake up. Even though he wouldn't admit it, Sarah was the glue holding Daryl together.

That is one thing I am certain of.

Daryl's POV

"I love you."

I said to Sarah. I needed to tell her, she had to know. The pain, I was shot.

Rick and Sarah putting me in the backseat of the truck and my head was on her lap. She smelled so good, life fresh cut grass. I looked up at her; there were tears streaming down her face. My chest hurt and it became hard to breathe. I raised my hand, trying to touch her cheek to wipe her tears away. Instead she took my hand in hers. I couldn't say anything, it hurt to much.

Screw the pain. I ain't going to die with her not knowing.

"I love you." I managed to say before seeing only darkness and closing my eyes.

I slowly wake up and feel sun shine onto my face. I open my eyes slowly adjusting to the light. I look around and realize that I am in a bed and most likely to be at the farm. I took a deep breathe and felt a very sharp pain shooting through my stomach. This caused me to grunt in pain, but nothing I hadn't felt before. Probably because it was a bullet wound and not a belt.

Before I could even call for someone, Hershel walks into the room with a medical bag in his hand. He looked at me and said,

"Thank you God." and walked over to me.

"What happened?"

"You were shot, twice." He said and yelled to Maggie. I looked down at my stomach and saw bandages wrapped around my body.

"Damn."

I was shot twice? Hershel yelled for Maggie to find Rick and within minutes Rick came in my room panting. He smiled and looked at me. He walked over and sat down in the chair next to me to my left. Hershel, on my right, was taking my blood pressure or something.

"I'll go and find Sarah." Rick said standing up, turning for the door.

"No!" I quickly grabbed Rick's arm causing my stomach to hurt. I laid back down and let go of his arm.

"She can't see me like this." I growled.

"She already has. She has slept in that chair next to you every night, watching you, making sure you are still breathing." I could hear the anger in his voice as he pointed to the chair next to me bed. I looked over at the chair then back at Rick.

"I'm asking you to do my this one favor. Do not let her see me like this!" I was practically begging Rick at this point.

"What am I supposed to do when she walks in here tonight to sleep here and sees you awake?" he snapped.

"I'll fake being asleep. I need the rest anyway. Once I am have enough strength to walk, then you can tell her. Deal?" I reached out my hand but the pain in my stomach made me bring my hand down.

"Deal." Rick nodded. We made Hershel and Maggie swear not to tell her as well. Rick then explained that it had been little over a week sense I was shot and that Sarah had been out on runs during the day and with me at night. I was mad that Rick let her go out for runs all on her own, but told me that she became someone different after I was shot. Someone tougher, harder and more independent.

Hershel told me that I owed my life to Sarah and that she had saved me twice. They explained that it was a miracle that I made it through each night because of how much blood I lost. Then it hit me why she sat at my bedside each night, watching my breathe. She was my miracle.

Hershel left and so did Rick, swearing to not tell a soul that I was secretly ok, only that I hadn't improved. I could hear some movement in the hall and closed my eyes. I heard the door open and close. I felt someone take my hand and bring it up to there face. I knew it was Sarah.

"Please come back to me." she pleaded. I still faked being asleep, wishing I could open my eyes and tell her I was ok. I also, couldn't let her see me like this. Not again. She leaned back into her chair and closed her eyes.

I love this girl, and I can't wait to tell her.