Chapter 73

"What do you mean the Governor has him? How the hell did that happen?" my heart was racing as I yelled at Rick.

"It was his brother." Glenn moaned.

"What? Who's brother?"

"Daryl's. Merle is working for the Governor. Did this to me. He was the one who kidnapped us and shot Michoone." Glenn said. Michonne nodded in approval of what he just said.

"How does his brother involve him still being there?"

"Daryl wanted to find Merle. He told me that he was right behind me. But when we got passed the wall..." Rick paused. I heard the anger in his voice.

"We can't just leave him there. I'm going back to get him." I walked to the car and grabbed the rifle out from the back seat. I grabbed some extra ammo and made sure my gun was loaded.

"Sarah, calm down. We're going to get him back. We aren't going to leave him behind." Rick sighed and we got ready to leave. It would be Rick, Maggie and I going back to get Daryl. Rick told me that Oscar died helping get Glenn over the giant walls at Woodbury. I promised myself that we would dig a grave for Oscar back at the prison even though we didn't have his body. Oscar was one of us when he died. He deserved to be remembered as one of us.

Glenn was going to stay behind, seeing that he could barley stand along with Michonne who was still wounded from her previous injuries. Merle truly was a bad guy to have beaten Glenn just because the Governor needed someone to do his dirty work. It was hard to believe that there were ever good people around.

It was hard to believe that it took an apocalypse to change people into the person they were truly meant to be.

---

We'd made it to the gates of Woodbury and used the cover of night to our advantage. I looked at the giant metal wall. There was just one person keeping watch on the wall and they weren't even paying attention.

"Come on." Rick whispered.

There was a piece of the giant wall that was bent, so we pulled it back and found our way into Woodbury. I followed Rick's lead had we ran down his alley in between two buildings. As I looked out from the alley, it seemed like this place had once been a town with two roads splitting the street. There were fires lit all the way down the street to light the way, but there was nobody around.

The sound of yelling brought us to this arena area in the back of Woodbury. We couldn't see much through the crowd of people so we decided that I would go up to the roof and use the rifle from there. I would fire the first shot and Rick and Maggie would follow once I saw Daryl. I'd gotten really good with the rifle and the other guns we had, with Daryl's help. I threw the rifle over my back and climbed the staircase up to the roof of the old building. Once I got to the top I found a spot and got comfortable with the rifle. From the roof I saw everything. I saw who I guessed was the Governor.

He was a tall man with a blood-stained bandage over his eye. He was yelling to the crowd, fueling their anger. He called out to someone and two men led out someone with a bag over their head. I looked through the scope and when they removed the bag, I saw the face I had been searching for.

Daryl was then pushed into the middle of the crowd with his hands tied behind his back.

"You wanted your brother. Well here he is." the governor said to the man beside him. The man was wearing a wife beater and a black unbuttoned over shirt. The one thing that told me who he was was that he only had on hand, the other was covered in come metal thing with a bayonet on the end. It was Merle, Daryl's older brother.

Daryl stood beside his brother, Merle only a few inches taller. Daryl was breathing hard while all those people looked at him like he was an animal. It only fueled my anger that anyone would think Daryl was just some animal to be treated like dirt.