Chapter 71

I held the baby while sitting at one of the metal tables. The sun was slowly rising when I had heard her cries and went back inside the prison to feed her. I'd kept watch all night, not being able to sleep.

As I looked down at the tiny newborn baby in my arms, I wondered what my life would have been like if this apocalypse had never happened. Would I have had a family of my own? Would I have met Daryl?

I heard footsteps and saw Carl walk out from the cell block, a giant yawn spreading across his face.

"Did you get any sleep?" I asked.

Carl sat down beside me but didn't reply. I knew he hadn't. Just the day before he had to kill his own mother to keep her from turning. What was more painful? Putting a bullet in the head of his own mother or see his mother come back as a lifeless monster, wanting nothing more than to kill you.

"You want to hold her?" I said. Carl nodded and I placed the baby in his arms. The way Carl held her, it seemed like he had been doing it his whole life.

Slowly everyone started to walk up and wonder into the commons area. Hershel came and sat down at the table with us. There was a creaking sound that made my head shoot up and that was when I saw Rick.

Rick slowly walked though a door leading into the tombs. He was no longer covered in blood and had on some fresh, clean clothes. He looked over to Carl and then the baby. I stood up and walked over to him, stopping him midway.
"Are you good, Rick?" I ask, remembering what happened to me the last time I saw him.

"I'm, I'm good." he replied. I moved out of the way and Rick walked up to Carl. I stood beside Hershel while Rick just looked at the baby.

"It's a girl. She's healthy." Hershel spoke. Rick just continued to looked down at his daughter.

"The tombs are clear." Rick murmured.

"You cleared them on your own?" I asked but Rick didn't reply. He was definitely capable to clear the tombs out on his own, that I am sure of. I saw him push through those walkers like it was nothing.

"I just came to check on Carl." and with that Rick turned around and headed out the door.

"Rick, wait!" I ran after him. Carl needs his father, this group needed its leader. I caught up to him and his back was towards me.

"Rick, please. You don't need to do this on your own, let us help." just as my hand landed on his shoulder, he through his arm back and pushed my off him.

"I don't need your help!" he yelled. His eyes held only anger. I watched as Rick turned and stormed into the tombs. I turned to leave and saw Daryl standing there. He must have seen everything.

"Jus' needs time." Daryl said softly.

"I know. Lets get back." we walked back to the cell block. I told Hershel what had happened but not Carl. He didn't need to think that he was loosing his father too.

Hershel and I walked out to the courtyard to see Glenn and Maggie packing a car. They were heading out to get some more baby supplies. Carl has yet to name the little baby girl but I think he is waiting for Rick to help him decide.

"You need any extra hands?" I ask Maggie.

"No, we'll be fine. Glenn and I can handle a simple run." Maggie smiled and I helped her to finish getting the car ready. I put some gas in the car and opened the gate for Glenn and Maggie to leave. I watched their car disappear down the road and away from the prison.

I walked the fences for a few hours and traded places with Carl. As I walked up the gravel road up to the courtyard, I had this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was wrong. I ran back up to the prison and saw Rick talking to Hershel and Daryl. Beth was rocking the baby back and forth trying to prepare a bottle.