Chapter 27

The next day I set my alarm for sunrise and make a point of heading out for my early morning jog. Dorian's question of how long I know him is still echoing in the back of my head. Is he asking about Luke? If yes- then why would he? I venture further than block c, tracing a route down to the volleyball field and back again, pushing my body to its limits. So that I forget his question. By the time I get back to my room, Laura is waiting for me.

"Nice jog?" she asks as I unlock my door.

I heave a sigh, pressing my hands to the edge of my table and catching my breath "Yeah" I say, but it's closer to the pant. "Almost two and a half miles".

"I'd pass out after the first" she jokes, and sit down on the edge of my bed "Ready for breakfast?"

"Just give me 15min, I need a shower".

"Okay," she replies, turning her head toward the window.

I grab a shower - a short but short and hot enough to relax my muscles and leave my body feeling great again.

With my hair damp, I wore my red check shirt and a pair of black jeans. I grab my bag and leave the room with Laura.

On the way to the canteen, Laura asks me to join Sam's weekend bonfire which will be held tonight. First, I refuse to come but then I thought I'd never been to any bonfire party before. So, I said 'Yes' at last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought about what I was going to wear all day because I have no idea what they wear at this kind of party. I figured a short, a tank top with a pair of my sneaker.

When I got there, I saw that I had chosen wrong. The other girls were wearing sundresses and little skirts.

"You look fine. Don't be dumb" Laura says as she walks toward me.

We move further towards the fire when Eric comes from nowhere and take Laura with him.

I stood by the fire alone and pretended to warm my hands even though they weren't cold. That was when I saw him. He was sitting with his friends and Gloria by his side, drinking a bottle of coke or something, I'm not sure. He passes a slow smile when Gloria whispers something in his ear. I can feel that heat flushing through my body by seeing her closeness with him. I hate her.

And this is when someone holds me from the back "I didn't expect you here" a familiar voice whispered in my ear. I know it, Luke. I turn and remove myself from his hold "Why don't you tell me that you are coming too?"

"Umm..... it's the last moment plan" I say and shrug my shoulder. He put his arm around me, he smells fresh, like after a shower.

We sat by the fire. "You don't know how happy I am right now," he says. "I was bored, you know until I noticed you".

"Yeah me too" I reply to him. I can feel Dorian's eyes on us sometimes, and I was so tempted to give him the mind your business look. Because whenever I held my gaze up, I saw Gloria linger closer and closer to him each time. And he didn't mind. Maybe he likes her too, like being close to her. I want to punch her, right on her face.

He caught me staring and I looked away. Then I look back over and he caught me again. Before he could say anything, I pull myself off the ground, "I'll be back" I say to Luke, and walk towards them.

"I need to talk to you" I boldly say to Dorian without even looking at her. He lifted his eyes on me, and studied me for a moment, "whoa" their friends start to gasp and chuckled but quickly stopped when he glanced over them.
Finally, he speaks, "Okay,".

Gloria's pretty face twisted as he starts walking away from them. I followed him down the forest near the bonfire.

After walking a few meters, he stops and turns to me, my breathing hitched as he looks deep into my eyes "What?" he asks slowly, I shake my head trying to avoid his eye contact.
I lean back a little, "You haven't completed our last time conversation" I reply.