Chapter 12

Next morning, new day, new hope, a new chance for getting away from all those problems, every morning I woke up in hope that this morning might change everything. But nothing changed.
I'm in class, waiting for Professor Verona.
I haven't talked to Laura since yesterday. I know that was my fault. I shouldn't have talked to her like that. And I'm angry with myself for hurting her. I feel really bad and honestly, I don't know how to face her. Or say that I AM SORRY FOR HURTING YOU. PLEASE FORGIVE ME. But this two-line sentence felt like giving a presentation in front of the entire campus. I shut my eyes, and exhale deeply, thinking about how to talk to her until the door opens and Professor Verona walks in.

"Good morning class" she greeted us. She looked pretty in her white shirt and black skirt which was tightened on her waist and wore a black scarf around her neck which made her feature more beautiful.

She continue "Today we are going to discuss ancient stone. The precious stone which you guys had never heard before" she paused, flipping pages "Okay, so everyone open page no. 162." When we all turned the page to 162, she continued "As you guys can see. Our ancestors found this precious stone". She is walking around the room, watching us, making eye contact with each of us while explaining.
But I can't concentrate, part of me doesn't want to because first, I need to find out whether I belong here or not and second, why did they send me here?

My thought breaks when somebody tapped right on my desk, I turned and Verona was glaring down at me. Shit. I'm dead now.
"You seem distracted. May I ask, why?" She asked.
"It's not like that. I was just trying to....learn everything".
"Oh I see. Can you tell me where they found it?".
"Found what?"
"The stone"
I clear my throat, "Oh, Ummm...." trying to remember but nothing comes out because I haven't listened properly. Now I have a fluttery feeling in my stomach. What do I do now? She'll kick me out if I won't answer her.
I was surprised when Laura answered for me." On the mountain".
She'd saved me again like always. I turned to watch her. But she isn't looking at me. I frowned.
Verona watched Laura from the corner of her eyes but didn't say anything as she walks back.

I lean forwards resting my face on my hand, trying not to distract myself this time. Otherwise, she'll definitely kick me out without any second thought.

Verona continued "This stone is very powerful, no one can endure its power in his human form" she pause "But Fae can. And then he'll become the most powerful Fae that nobody can defeat. This stone was found by one of Orion's members which were further handed over to Orion Queen. She gave a name to this -Grim Rock. She kept it in her palace, safe under the eyes of powerful Orions. She was unfamiliar with its power but she knew this is precious and our enemy- 'The Maligns' will definitely come to take it, and as she thought they dwell in the castle. They came to steal it. But Fae leaders never let that happen. She fought back. She killed every Malign and locked their queen in prison". She paused and tilted her face towards me but didn't say anything. She must be checking on me whether I'm paying attention or not.

She removed her gaze and there was a bit of silence and then, in a cold, robotic voice, she continue "Grim Rock - the symbol of unbreakable power".

"Where is it now ?" somebody asked from the front row.
She lifted her eyebrows "Queen of Orion make it hidden somewhere, so it'll never end up in the wrong hand".
"How do we discriminate between real and fake ones?" A girl from the back asked.
She smirks "Well, that's a very good question miss. Can I know your name".
"It's Sophie".
"So, miss Sophie the Grim Rock is unbreakable and it will glow under the moonlight".
"Oh, that's cool" Sophie beamed at Verona.

After an hour of boring lecture. Finally, it's over and she dismisses us.
I pull up from my seat, grab my bag and run toward Laura before she walks out.
"Hey, Laura, can we talk?" I say from behind. Her back is on me.
She turned "Yeah, sure," she say in a flat, monotone voice. She doesn't look like herself. The crazy fun-loving, adoring Laura seems missing. Am I the reason behind this?
After a moment of awkward silence, I speak "It's a lovely day. Isn't it?"
She stares at me for a bit "Is that what you want to talk about?".
"Ummm.....No, actually," I release a heavy sigh "Look, I know I messed up because I was stupid. I shouldn't have talked to you like that. You're my only friend and I suppose to believe in you which I hadn't. And I am extremely sorry for that. And trust me, I really mean it". I frown.