Chapter 84

Alice

I ran after him. His anger is beyond the limit. He can't accept the fact that Dorian is back or he just doesn't want to.
"Luke.." I yell as I'm trying to catch him. But he didn't stop. He keeps rushing toward his dorm room. "Luke, please stop".
He's about to open his door when I quickly hold his hand, "Just hear me out, please".
"There is nothing left to listen to, Alice," he replies as he unlocks the door, "He's back and he'll protect you at any cost. There is no place for me".
He walks in.
What?
"How could you say such a thing?" I questioned angrily. I stop the door as he pushes it to close.
This is ridiculous.
He turns, his broken eyes finally meet mine, and my anger slowly washes off. "The moment when you get to know his location...you...you just ran off without thinking anything, without even thinking about telling me" he paused, raking his hand through his messy hair, "You still care for him more than anything and so do he" his jaw clenched as his eyes filled with tears, "So there is no need of me anymore".
I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out.
"He's waiting, Alice" he states as he closes the door. And this time I don't stop him.

~~~~~~

A cold wind isn't enough to ease the deep ache inside my heart. The front-view lake won't silence my chaotic thoughts. Everyone's giggling, and talking won't affect me either because Luke's words still roaming inside my head. I don't know what to comprehend. I don't even know that I should be sad or angry. Or both. The only thing I know is that...I care for both of them. I can't leave any one of them.
"We don't have much time left" Dorian's voice broke my thought.
I watched him walk toward me and took a seat next to me.
"You can't stay here any longer," he says, placing both of his elbows on his thigh as he leans forward. His gaze focuses on something but his mind is somewhere else.
I took a deep breath, "I can't run away. They will find me someday".
"Well, today is not that day".
"I can't hide forever. I can't just leave everything behind. I can't live in fear that they will find me".
He turns to glance up at me, "You don't want to leave because of...him". His statement is more like a correction. "I know he's not coming. And you don't want to leave without him. But..."
He sat up straight, looking down at me, "But your life is in danger right now because you are not ready yet to fight them".
"Then when will I?" I push myself on my feet in frustration.
He follows me, "Soon...but right now you need to fly far away from them and everyone".
"Why are you so scared of her?"
His jaw tightened, "I'm not scared of her. I just don't want to..." his breathing became fast. He looks away.
I walk closer, trying to meet his eyes "Want to...what?" but he won't let me.
"We don't have time to talk. Either we should leave immediately or wait to greet the Queen of Malign from your ripped heart".
I roll my eyes, "What is so special about my powers that she's dying to take them".
He starts walking, back to the parking spot, "Everything" he replies without glancing back.
I roll my eyes at his choice of words as I  follow him.

~~~~~~

Before leaving the campus I wrote a letter to my dad, telling him that wherever I was going, I'd be safe, telling him not to find me. Because this could put him in danger. And then I went to Laura to say goodbye before leaving. And as I expected she packed her things to come with me. When I went to Luke's room it was locked.
Where did he go?
We decided to go through the woods because we could easily hide in the forest. Dorian left his car at the campus since it will attract more eyes. He and Edwin lead us. We were moving fast but quietly because we didn't want to draw any kind of attention.
"Where are we heading?" Laura questioned while looking around.
"Somewhere safer" Edwin replied.
"That place must have some name, I guess".
"Not everything exists, have a name..." Edwin stopped to watch her, "Umm...?"
"Laura Evan" she adds.
He lifted his eyebrows, "...Miss Evan".
"Have we met before?" she asked, while tilting her head to meet his gaze but I think he's not interested in this little conversation.
When he didn't reply, she pushed her leg faster, "Hello? I've asked you something".
Holding his cold look, he finally decided to reply, "Yes, Miss Evan. Because we are studying at the same university".
"Why haven't I noticed you before?" she whispered and only I could hear her.
I sense a faint smile on her face. Is she flirting right now? With Edwin?
I roll my eyes. I've never liked her taste. Her choice is far bolder than I can ever assume.
Edwin is back on his alert mode, scanning the area before moving forward.
Laura clears her throat, she's about to speak again when Dorian stops midway, staring at her from the corner of his eyes, a little pissed "No more fucking questions or I'm gonna leave you here".
Laura scuffed, "Excuse me?".
"You heard me". His answer is as cold as him.
Raising her eyebrows and giving a glassy stare, she argued "I'm not here for you Mr. Dorian Wilson".
"So, you know my name, strange?" he replied in sarcasm.
Ignoring his statement, she spoke again, "I'm here for her. So I'm not going to take orders from you or anyone around here. Get that?".
Edwin comes and stands between both of them, "Your overconfidence will put you in danger someday, Miss Evan" he says calmly as he tries to move her back. But she won't listen. Instead, she pushed him, rushing toward Dorian, "I know you guys always act like you're some sort of King who rules his kingdom. And everyone around you is your bloody slave" She paused, as she strolled closer, her eyes bulged and jaw clenched, "But let me tell you one thing that world is not under your toe. And I'm not bloody afraid of you".
He leans closer, giving back her stare as if they're gonna kill each other just by their eyes.
Dorian's mouth was set in a grim line, and his jaw was tensed as he said "You are not afraid because you haven't seen the real me, Miss Laura Evan" They were just an inch apart from each other, anger surging inside them.
"If you want her to live. Then shut your freaking mouth" Dorian growls.
Her lips pressed into a white slash but didn't argue further only glaring back at him. Of course, annoyed by him.
He started walking again, and so did we. His step was smooth and silent like he was some sort of agent, followed by Edwin, who was as swift as him.
Hours have been passed and unexpectedly Laura stayed silent throughout our way, she's still looked upset. I've tried to talk but got no replies.
Massive trees surrounded us, Once the sun set, the chill became unbearable, but now the clouds are rolling in, and I fucking misjudged that the storm wouldn't turn. I look up at the overcast sky. It's going to be dark soon.

"You guys can carry on from here" Dorian announced.
I jerked my head at him, this is when I hit my toe on a rock beneath me. I stumbled a little but balanced myself immediately.
"What?"
Did I hear wrong?
Edwin wore a look of shock, "Are you not coming with us?"
"No" Dorian replied.
He must be lying. He can't do this to me.  "Are you fucking kidding me?" I asked, feeling a rise in my voice.
Ignoring my question, he said "The Sun is setting and I can't.." he paused, looking down at me and then back to Edwin, he sensed the tension on my face. 
"And I can't be with you all" he adds.
Laura walked closer to Dorian while rubbing her palm. It started freezing now.
Finally, she decided to say, "So, finally you've shown your real face," she said.
Dorian's brow was drawn together, wondering what she meant by it.
She leaned closer, standing face to face "You are running away and leaving her all alone to deal with that crazy bitch". Frustration is visible on her face.
His jaw tensed, as he spoke, "I'm not running away neither am I leaving her alone. Edwin is there for her" he lingered closer to her face, "But if I stay here any longer then no one gonna save you from me".
As the words left his mouth she faltered back a little, it was like his words frightened her.
within her eyes flashing, her mouth twisted into an ugly sneer."What the fuck was that?" Laura growl. "How could you say..."
I cut her off, "Enough Laura, let him go".

"But..?" confusion set up on her face.
How could I forget about his curse? It's going to be night soon and there is not much time left for him to become a blood-lust demon.
"You all have to walk straight from here, and then cross the river where you'll find a cave. Spend the night there. That will be safe" he says, meeting my eyes, "Tomorrow, I'm gonna meet you guys there".
He walks to me, his expression more tense than ever as he speaks, "Whatever happened, don't stop. Keep going. This is the only way to stay alive. Get that?" I feel a thrill of fear from his words. This is far more serious than I thought. 
He shakes my shoulder, "Get that?" he repeats.
I nodded 'Yes'.
He was about to turn when I asked, "You will come back, right?"
He watched me for a moment before replying "I will,".
And then he left us all alone in this creepy forest.