Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Katie's Pov:

The dream I had during the time I was unconscious was admittedly the strangest I had ever had. It started out normal, well normal as any dream can be. In the beginning, I was at an amusement park, only I was younger than my current self, about 6 years old I speculated. Both my parents were with me, which was surprising considering that my dad hardly ever came home from his beloved job. I didn't know what his job was, but it must have been important if he almost never left it. Mom looked as beautiful as ever, smiling down at me as we passed the many food vendors and carnival games. I smiled back, glad to be with them both even if it was in a dream. Children and their harassed looking parents dashed all around us, but their screams were died down into muffled garbles.

"Honey, do you want to ride the rollercoaster?" Mom asked, her angelic voice ringing clear through the mumbles of the crowd. I eagerly nodded my tiny, 6 year old head. Before they could say much else, I skipped my way to the line formed alongside the thundering rollercoaster. There was a group of boys right ahead of me. I wrinkled my nose in disgust. At my age boys still had cooties.

"What are you wrinkling your nose for? We don't stink!" exclaimed a red-headed boy, about my age. I was startled to find that all three boys were now staring at me with their big, curious eyes. I blushed and hung my head low, nervously picking at my fingers.

"I think she's scared of us" chuckled a little boy with dark eyes. I set my jaw and glared back up at them.

"I'm not scared! It's just that boys have cooties!" I screeched, tears welling up in my large blue eyes. I furiously wiped the moister from them, trying not to let them see my weakness.

"Hey, Hey, don't cry! You see what you did, Mackey?" cried the other boy who had hair as black as a country night and eyes so blue they sent an electric shock through my body. The boy who got told off looked taken aback.

"Hudson, come on, it's just a girl! It's not like it matters!" replied Mackey angrily stomping his foot. At this, my lip quivered, giving the boys the impression that I was going to cry.

"Oh, no!" whined Hudson coming up to me and sweeping me into a tight hug. I felt a second pair of arms squeeze me and I saw that the red-headed boy was also hugging me. The two boys that I didn't even know kept hugging me until we heard a shout from ahead of us.

"Oh, come on, not you, too, Danny! Jesus, you guys are a bunch of wimps!" Mackey called out to us. Danny rolled his eyes and together he and Hudson walked alongside me to cross the gap in the line we had created. The rollercoaster loading station was only a few people away now.

"Are you excited to ride the Mindtwister?" asked Danny.

"Yeah!" I rejoiced cheerily. I had always loved roller coasters, even as a child.

"Do you want to sit by me?" Hudson questioned, looking nervous. I giggled at his expression, making him glare at me playfully. I nodded my head in response to his question. He grinned and I realized he had some teeth missing. It was really cute. No, no, bad Katie! Boys have cooties!!!

The fire engine red coaster car came barreling into the station the passengers still screaming in delight. Butterflies of anticipation now buzzed through my stomach and I cracked a smile. Hudson noticed this and beamed as well, taking me by the hand and ushered me to seat at the front of the car. We sat down and soon the coaster started to inch forward. The chains underneath the wood structure made a grinding sound as we were drug up the opening hill. The long climb up to the top only increased the excitement bubbling up inside my young body. We rounded the top of the hill, and Hudson and I exchanged a grin before we plunged down the hill. We both whooped and guffawed, having great fun. The next sharp G-force turn turned into an ominous pitch black tunnel. I clutched onto Hudson's shirt with my tiny fist. I had always had a phobia of the dark. The only sounds I could hear were Hudson's excited breathes and my heart pumping blood into the vein behind my ear.

We emerged from the tunnel, but I wasn't seated beside Hudson any longer. I wasn't even on the rollercoaster at all. I was now face down in what seemed like soil and dried leaves. I lifted my head to see large pine trees. I now stood, noticing that I was now my regular 16 teen year old self. It was almost as dark as the tunnel. Night had obviously taken over. I was starting to get scared now. The dark really did freak me out. I stumbled my way through the trees often tripping over unseen boulders or bushes or running into trees. I soon gave up on making it out of the forest and sat down on the frigid ground and wrapped my thin arms around my legs. I started sobbing relentlessly. I heard a twig snap straight ahead of me, and I let out a stricken gasp. There in front of me were two glowing electric blue eyes. I could faintly see the silhouette of a large animal. A bear, maybe? It stalked towards me and I heard more twigs snap. I was silent knowing it couldn't understand my pleads to live anyway. Surprisingly, I heard it whine like a dog. Do bears whine like that? I didn't think so. More twigs snapped as it came closer. My breath hitched as it stopped walking so close to me that I could feel its warm breath caress my frozen face. I reached out to touch it, but vapor-like smoke surrounded both of us causing me to get distracted.

Suddenly, the forest and the blue-eyed creature were gone, and I felt like I had been body-slammed. There was an annoyingly bright light. I squinted and noticed there were two unknown men hovering over me. One of them smiled.

"Ah, Katie McAllister is finally awake. We have been waiting for you."