Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Katie's Pov

The auditorium was amazing. Never in all my life had I witnessed such a magnificent place, especially in a school. For crying out loud, this wasn't even a private school, and it was this fancy! The auditorium had it all; large, velvet curtains, movie-theater chairs, and to top it all off, a very obtuse crystal chandelier which gave the whole chamber a heavenly glow. I had almost forgotten that I wasn't, in fact, alone until Danny chuckled lightly from behind me. I tried to glare at him, but curiosity got the best of me.

"Wow exactly how much money does your school have?" I questioned with my eyes still as big as saucers. Danny looked like he was troubled by something, which only made me more curious. He sighed and finally answered. "A lot" he said with a shrug. He plopped down in a dark red, cushioned seat. I stood there awkwardly. Should I sit down, or is that weird? Does he expect me to sit? Should I just leave now and save myself the embarrassment? The dilemma ravaged through my mind until on a whim, I crouched into the seat next to him. Crap, what if he didn't want me to sit? God, this is awkward. I started attacking my un-kept finger nails. I had done this many times before, when I had been nervous, which was a lot. I gathered up the courage to ask the question that had been burning my tongue ever since Danny had first appeared in the hallway.

"Why did you interfere with what Mackey was doing?" I asked as I turned to read his expression. His brow crumbled, showing that he was worried. Maybe he was worried about how to answer my question. Maybe he was worried about my reaction to his answer. He sighed and looked at me, his deep indigo eyes troubled.

"I was being a good friend" he answered vaguely. I don't get this kid. This is the first time I've talked to him and he is already calling me a friend. I don't think the definition of friend is someone who you've spoke to once, but then again he did rescue me from Mackey and his thugs. Still, nobody ever wants to be my friend, and I doubt he wants to. He is probably just saying that because he pities me.

"What does that mean? I'm not your friend. I don't even know you" I mumbled bitterly under my breath. Danny seemed at a loss for words, taken aback by my statement.

"I am your friend" he said comfortingly. I stayed silent, glaring at my awfully kept nails. My conscience told me that he wasn't lying, but my logical side said otherwise. I felt a warm hand grip my shoulder, as if comforting me. I shied away from Danny's touch. I can't let him through the barriers that I've put up ever since my mom died when I was 13 and even more so when Dad died last month. Up until now no one had ever tried to penetrate my protect bubble of depression. Danny sighed and removed his hands, giving me my space. I decided to change the subject to something I had been curious about all morning.

"What was up with your friend, Hudson, this morning?" I asked, taking Danny by surprise. But before he had the chance to do anything more than bug his eyes out and open his mouth wide like a drawbridge, every single one of the lights illuminating the auditorium suddenly extinguished and a siren even more shriller than the school bell sounded.

"Ah crap! Tornado drill!" Danny shouted above the blaring siren. He stood and quickly paced back and forth down the aisle. I had never seen this anxious side of Danny, and I can tell you, it scared me more than when he wad angry.