Chapter 16

Chapter 16 

Katie's POV

When I woke up, I was in someone's arms. I could feel their warm, bare skin against my body. It felt good, and that was weird. How could being in someone's arms make you feel as happy and content as I felt? I wondered who was holding me. I hoped it wasn't Trent. Or Mackey. Or basically any of Trent's "pack." That would just be disgusting.

I struggled to lift my eyelids to see who it was for myself. They felt heavy. They didn't want to open. I felt like I was weightlifting instead of just opening my eyes.

Finally, I forced them open with all my might. Big mistake. The light of wherever I was hurt my eyes which made me realize how bad my head hurt. I felt it pounding and wondered how I hadn't felt it earlier. I moaned in pain and rolled over to hide my eyes from the lighting. The arms that I now realized were carrying me tightened in an almost protective way. Well, probably not. They probably just thought I was going to fall or something. But a girl can hope.

"Is she hurt?" came an authoritative-sounding voice. The man seemed irritated, and I had the suspicion that he was not one that you wanted to see irritated.

"She has a bad bruise on her forehead, but other than that, I can't tell" I could sense the vibrations from the person holding me which meant they were the one that talked.

"Is this the girl?" the stern man from before asked.

"Yes, she is" the guy holding me replied, a hint of pride was present in his voice. Were they talking about me? And if so, why would the guy holding me be proud to have me? Unless, he kidnapped me as well and he's proud to accomplish it. Oh man, Trent's gonna be mad.

"You know you're in big trouble, right?"

"I know, but it was worth it" replied the guy holding me. I wonder if they knew I was awake...

"She had better be" said the strict-sounding man. The boy, no man, carrying me tensed. His arms tightened around me again.

"What's that supposed to mean? Of course, Katie's worth it!" he shouted angrily. Ok, so now I know they're definitely talking about me.

"You could've died!" the man shouted back.

"I would die for her a million times over!" the one carrying me said. This took me by surprise. Why would he die for me? My heart melted, and I was seriously touched.

"As would I, alpha" remarked a familiar voice. Shocked, I opened my eyes again, ignoring my burning eyes and pounding head.

"Danny?" I asked, my voice coming out shakier and scratchier than I wanted. I looked over to see my familiar, redheaded friend staring at me with wide eyes.

"Yes?" he gulped out.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"We took you from Trent's house and brought you back here" came the guy's voice from above me. I looked up to see Hudson gazing down at me. My breath caught in my throat. His blue eyes struck me hard. The loving look he was giving me pierced my soul, and I felt a pang in my heart. Like my conscience was trying to tell me 'Hey, this is how it's supposed to be. You and him.' I agreed.

"Why?" I whispered in a small voice, not once tearing my gaze away from Hudson's face.

"You weren't safe there. Trent's not exactly what you call a nice guy. So I rescued you" he said. I remembered his comment from earlier, and I blushed.

"Hey, I helped a lot!" remarked Danny. I laughed.

"Thank you, Danny" I said as I sent him a smile. He really was a good friend.

"What about me?" Hudson asked in a low voice, sending me a cute pouting look.

"I guess you did a little" I teased. He gave a playful glare. I can already tell we're going to be great friends. Someone gruffly coughed, irrupting our playful banter. I turned to see a middle aged man staring at Hudson's arms. It was then I realized he was still carrying me. Bridal style, might I add. I blushed again and hopped down.

"I'm sorry. You should've said something. I must have been heavy to carry that whole time" I told Hudson, grinning sheepishly. He shook his head rapidly.

"You aren't heavy at all" he said, beaming.

"Ms. McAllister? Can you tell us what happened?" the middle aged man interrupted again. I thought he was being a little rude.

"Katie, don't mind my dad. He's just a grumpy old man" Hudson said.

"I have a right to be grumpy. My son leaves without telling me where he's going, and comes back in the early hours of the morning carrying some girl" he spat at me, giving me an angry glare.

"Dad! She's not just some girl and you know it!" Hudson shouted.

"Hudson-"

"You can't just break curfew and bring home some random girl!" his dad retorted.

"She's not a random girl! And I broke curfew to save her!" Hudson challenged. The argument was getting pretty heated, so I took a step back. I felt my eyes burning and not from the bright lights this time. A few small tears sprung to my eyes. I wiped them away so the others wouldn't see how weak I was. But Danny saw. He put his arm around my shoulders and steered me away from the father and son shouting match.

"You must be tired. You can have the couch until we find a bed for you" he offered. I thanked him and smiled gratefully.

"Are they always like that?" I asked, motioning back towards the front hallway where the muffled sounds of shouting could still be heard.

"This is worst I've ever seen it to date, actually" he replied, looking thoughtful.

"Is it because of me?" I asked.

"Probably."

"Why? Why is everyone making such a big deal out of me? I'm just a girl from a private school with nobody to turn to" I replied sadly.

"No, you're much more than that" Danny said, taking my hands in his. Oddly, this felt comforting. Then, I asked a question I had been dying to ask ever since my meeting with the council.

"Danny, you're all werewolves, aren't you?"

He looked utterly shocked.