Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Katie! Come in here, now!" screeched Margaret, my very unpleasent step-mother, as I sat in my dreary white-walled bedroom, willing myself not to break down crying but failing miserably. This had been the way things were lately. Ever since my doting dad died a month ago this is how things had been, my step-mom yelling at me and me trying not to cry, usually failing. I grumbled, padding my way out of the room that had been like my jail cell for the last month, all the while wiping the salty dampness from my misty cheeks.

I took my own sweet time meandering down the hallway filled with pictures from my past. I glanced at them as I sauntered by; a picture of a young me with two missing front teeth, one of my aunt and her newborn baby girl, Trinity, and finally one of my father and myself. We looked so happy just being there with each other, fishing at the old, murky pond behind my house. It almost started a new round of the tears I had become so used to this month. Almost.

I heard laughter and talking from the living room as I turned into the doorway leading to it. I expected to see my step-mom with her hands on her hips, glaring at me angrily for something she thinks I did wrong. But I was surprised to find that there were also two teenage boys as well. One of the boys, well men really, had light-blonde hair, almost white-blonde, and green hazel eyes. He was built like a football player, strong shoulders and pythons for arms. Overall he was cute, as was the other man. The second boy had sandy-blonde hair and bright coffee-colored eyes. You could tell he was a football player also, but more "ripped" than his friend. By my guess, the looked about 17 and cocky as heck.

"Um, Margaret? Who are they?" I asked suspiciously because we were all just standing there awkwardly and silently.

"This is Ethan" she replied pointing lazily, obviously she was drunk again, at the one with green hazel eyes "and this is Trent" she slurred, addressing the other one with brown eyes.

"How 'ya doing, Gorgeous?" said Trent seductively, his coffee-colored eyes twinkling with mischief. Did he just call me gorgeous? Me, the average girl, with dark brown hair halfway down my back and navy blue eyes? He must be on something.

"Um, not to sound rude, but what are they doing here?" I inquired nicely even though they were both checking me out with lust in their gleaming eyes, and I didn't like it one bit.

"They're here to take you away so I don't have to deal with you anymore" Margaret replied calmly and matter-of-factly.

"What!?" I whispered in a disbelieving tone, my voice cracking from the hurt and worthlessness I felt. What did she mean "take you away?"

"The only reason I had to put up with you for all these years is because of your father. But he is dead now, and you are not my problem anymore" she explained nonchalantly examining her acrylic finger nails.

"What do you mean?" I murmured quietly wishing this would all go away. She looked up from her nails, annoyance clear in her unforgiving ice blue eyes.

"Ugh, don't you get it?! I don't want you, Trent needed someone to get married to, I signed some papers, and you leave in two hours" she answered as if she were speaking to a simpleton. I starred at Margaret, unbelieving the words she just said. I knew she didn't like me, and I her, but I didn't think would ship me off with some creep I have to marry!

"Go pack your things" she commanded so harshly that I immediately began backing up towards my room, Trent and Ethan starring after me with a cocky grin on both their faces.

As soon as I was out of their sight, I let the tears fall. As I began packing, I realized that I wasn't just crying because I missed my dad and my step-mom is horrible. No, this time I was crying because I was scared for myself. 

Two Hours Later

I was packed and being practically shoved out the gigantic oak front door by Margaret, towards a waiting sleek black towncar. I drug my two suitcases into the trunk of the car and slumped into the backseat. Trent drove while Ethan rode shotgun. The whole while Trent was making perverted comments and calling me "wifey." As I sat stoic in the suede covered backseat, I couldn't help but think that my life totatlly sucks.