Ch. 36 "He Can't Wink"

Chapter 36

just before we begin this chapter I'd like to say I know nothing about courts other than what I've seen in movies and shows so please don't get nitty gritty with how things work thanks peeps

"Hey, Lukey," I say as I walk into the courtroom, punching him lightly in the arm.

"Get out of my face, Cass," he snaps with his head between his hands as his elbows rest on his thighs.

"Damn," I laugh and sit next to him, placing a hand on his knee to relax him. "Are you nervous?"

"No shit!" he whisper-screams.

Trent comes over by us and sits down next to Luke. "There's a crowd of reporters outside."

"How wonderful!" Luke cheers and claps his hands together. "This day couldn't get any better."

It's the day we'll finally be able to put Bradley behind bars like he deserves. When he admits to shooting Clayton, he'll be locked up for good.

The only thing I'm worried about is Haley. Kyle really thinks she could go to jail for being associated with Bradley. I don't think so since she didn't even know for sure what happened.

"Hello, Lucas."

Luke lifts his head up as the elderly couple approaches us in our seats. He stands up right away and shakes the mans hug. The lady pulls him into a huge hug.

"It's so nice to see you guys," Luke say with a smile. "Kyle really has missed you."

"Who is this pretty girl?" the older woman asks.

Luke looks at me and motions for me to stand up, so I do. "This is Cassidy."

"Cassidy," the lady says with a warm smile as she holds my hand, "it's a pleasure. Are you our little Lukey's girlfriend?"

"No," I answer with a laugh, "I'm just his friend."

"She's your little Kyle's girlfriend," Luke clarifies.

The lady covers her mouth in excitement. The quieter man smiles sweetly as his wife bounces cheerfully. They're awfully precious.

"You must be the one that makes our grandson so happy!" she exclaims and cups my face in her hands. "Bless you, dear!"

"No one has ever made him this happy," his grandfather speaks gratefully.

I blush. "I-I-he makes me just as happy."

"They're actually so cute that it's sickening," Luke says.

Kyle's grandmother hits Luke's arm with the shake of her head. "Now we just need a girl like Cassidy for you!"

"But I have Trent," Luke says and points to Trent who is still awkwardly sitting in his seat unnoticed.

I laugh as Trent pulls a face at Luke. The couple shakes Trent's hand, laughing at Luke's tactics.

"Oh, look! It's our daughter!" the lady cheers enthusiastically. "I'll see you three after all of this is over. Wishing that bastard ends up behind bars!"

Luke kisses her cheek and hugs the grandpa. "Let's all hope."

"Kyle's parents are here?" I ask in a whisper as the grandparents heads over to a younger couple.

They're talking to Haley who is bawling her eyes out. Sure, I feel somewhat sorry for her. But then I remember I don't like her nor her choices in boyfriends.

Luke shrugs. "I had no idea. They hate me and Kyle, so it's not like they'd tell us."

Kyle walks into the courtroom next, smiling when he sees us. He looks adorable in his suit.