Ch. 28 "Santa Shops at Target"

Chapter 28

"Merry Christmas!"

Trent's arms wrap around my waist as he picks me up from the ground. He sets me down to go after Frankie, nearly throwing him in the air. Laura hugs me next, her hands still cold from the air outside.

"I'm sorry we're late. Handing out the presents at the hospital took longer than anticipated," Trent apologizes selflessly.

As tradition, the Teals come over to our house after their family leaves on Christmas. We spent today with my dad's side of the family (and yes I was able to eat the turkey since Joey made it instead) and yesterday with my mom's.

"Did Kyle spend today with you guys?" I ask, remembering how he spent thanksgiving with their family.

Trent shakes his head. "He moved back in with Luke yesterday. Have you not talked to them?"

"They won't answer any of my texts," I explain. "Did-did Kyle talk to Haley?"

"Don't ask me. I mean, most likely since she's at that house. Who knows."

"Luke knows," I say and pull out my phone to call him.

Trent, Laura, Frankie, and my dad leave me alone in the foyer. They all head towards the living room to get the Christmas movie we always watch together started.

After one ring, Luke rejects my phone call.

To: Luke Hart

you little bastard

I hit send and make my way to the living room. Frankie pats the floor next to him that's covered and in blankets. I take a seat next to him, wrapping an arm over his shoulders.

We're watching the Polar Express, which is Frankie's very favorite Christmas movie. It was his year to pick the movie, so no one could override it.

I would've voted for Elf or Home Alone but what can you do.

"Marshmallows?" Laura asks, holding the bag up when she and my dad come back with our cups of hot chocolate.

It's suitable, since the movie is literally singing a song about hot chocolate. And yes, Trent and I do know every single word to the song.

"Ouch!" Frankie cries, dropping his drink from the hotness.

It spills all over Trent.

"Son of Nutcracker!" Trent yells, jumping from the ground and clinging to his leg in pain.

Frankie and I laugh, tears nearly streaming down our cheeks. Laura helps Trent and leads him to the kitchen, where I think they'll make sure he doesn't have a severe burn or anything.

To: Superman

all I want for Christmas is you

Cheesy? Very. But I'll do anything to make him feel guilty.

"Is Kyle insane?" Frankie asks randomly.

I look to my dad in confusion, then back to Frankie. "Why do you ask that, buddy?"

"I don't know," he mumbles. "I just..I wrote this poem about him."

"You wrote a poem about Kyle? Frank, you can't tell anyone you know him," I say.

"I didn't say I knew him! I just said that I think he's the coolest celebrity ever and when I read it out loud to the class they all started laughing at me."

I look to my dad for help, not knowing what to say.

"Celebrities just get a lot of bad light shine on them," my dad says. "Kyle's a good kid."