Thirty | Psycho

- Justin's POV -

Irene was beginning to creep me out. We did almost everything together. I was always at her house and she was always at mine. We went out frequently and it was almost as if we were a couple. I denied some of her invitations to hang out but she nearly begged me it's like I couldn't say no

Sort of like today. It's the week before Christmas and Irene insisted that I come out shopping with her again. She claims she still has to get a few things for some of her family members. Here I was accepting her invite as always. It was becoming annoying if I'm going to be completely honest.

I didn't know what was more irritating; being with Irene for three weeks or being without Dana for three whole weeks. I planned on spending Christmas with her. I thought things would be going good between us by then but obviously not. Either way, I was going to get her a gift while I was here today. She still means everything to me and it would wrong if I didn't.

So here I was in Macy's trying to decide if she'd like a body fragrance or a gold necklace with her initial. I never really bought gifts for women before. Except my mom and grandmother. Other than that I didn't and I didn't know what she would like more.

I turn to Irene who is taking photos in the mirror. When she sees me looking she smiles and turns to face me. "Sorry."

"No, it's fine. I just want to ask you something."

She looks at the different perfume bottles I had in my hand and points to one. "That one smells way better. I've had both of them before. Are you getting it for your mom?"

"Actually no. It's for Dana. Since you're a girl I wanted to know if you think she'll like one of these or a necklace."

Her smile vanishes and I might be wrong but, it looked like she got a little mad. "I don't know her so how would I know what she likes?"

I shrug. "Well, you're a girl."

"Not all girls like the same things Justin."

I decide not to respond and make the decision to get the necklace. That way she can always wear it and it would last way longer than the fragrance. When I'm finished purchasing it I leave the store with Irene following behind me. She doesn't say anything until we're in the parking lot at my car.

"Have you been talking to Dana lately?" Irene put her bags in the back seat and comes back to the front.

I clear my throat. "Uh, no."

"Oh..." she bites her lip.

"Why?"

"I was just asking."

The car ride is extremely quiet. I don't bother to turn on the radio and neither does she. Actually, it sort of looked like she was in a daze. She just sat there staring straight ahead, barely blinking. Once again, creeping me out.

Finally we're back at my house. I need to find a way to let Irene know that I need to be alone. At least for a few hours.

"Um, I'm going in for a few. Guess I'll see you later?"

She looks down and fiddles with her thumbs, slight disappointment on her face. "Yeah, sure...um, okay."

Before I could say anything else she's grabbing her bags and jetting down the street. I don't know what's gotten into her. She was never like this in high school. It seems like after I told her about Dana she just turned into this weird person. Maybe she was jealous I don't know.

As I enter the house, I see mom sitting in the living room with her boyfriend Matt. It's been a long time since I've seen him and I was kind of glad. He wasn't a jerk like most guys she's dated but I didn't like the idea of some guy having all of her attention. Call me selfish but, its the way I felt.