Seventeen | Thanksgiving Break

"Dana, baby welcome back home!" my grandma places her soft hand on my cheek. I bend down and hug her, taking in her vanilla sent that I missed so much. She looks from me to Justin and widens her eyes. "And who may this be?"

"My--" I start and then pause. I don't know whether to call him my friend or my boyfriend. If I say he's my friend he might be a little disappointed. If I say he's my boyfriend he's going to think I'm for real. Now that I think about, I don't know what we are. I just say what might sound right in this situation.

"My uh... my boyfriend." my cheeks get hot. "Justin."

From the corner of my eye I see Justin smirking.

Nonna gasps. "Boyfriend? I thought you said--"

"Yeah I know." I cut her off. "I was a little shy about it."

Nonna smiles and touches Justin's cheek. "Well, it's nice to meet you young man."

"It's nice to meet you too." he nods.

"Where's nonno?" I asked curiously. I search around the house and see him sitting in the living room watching tv. He was so glued he hadn't even noticed I walked in.

I sit down next to him on the sofa and that's when he sees me. "Hey nonno."

Nonno smiles real wide. "Dana! Benvenuti a casa tesoro."

I'm not very good with Italian but I know he said something like 'welcome home sweetie'.

"Thanks." I nod. Whenever I couldn't understand what my grandfather said, my mom would translate for me or sometimes Nonna. But mainly my mom since my grandfather taught her Italian at a young age. After a few minutes of hugging and laughing I turn to Nonna.

"I'm just going up to my room to unpack and stuff." I tell her.

She nods. "I should probably get back to cooking too."

I walk up the beige carpeted steps with Justin following behind me. When we make it to my room, I throw my bag on my queen sized bed. Gosh, I never appreciated how big this bed was until now. "You can put your suitcase in my closet if you want." I tell Justin. He does just that.

"Hey, where's the bathroom?" he asks.

"All the way down the hall to the right." With those directions he was gone in a second. I let out a small chuckle and explore my room that I haven't seen in so long. I walk past my desk, looking at the pictures of Ryan and I from the time we were seven all the way up until we were seventeen. This would be the first time in years that I wouldn't be spending Thanksgiving with him. It's kind of heartbreaking actually. He's like a brother to me. He only lives a few doors down, I'll probably visit his family while I'm here this week. I hope he wouldn't mind. I walk over to my dresser and look at other pictures I had. The ones when I was young with my mom and dad. I stop at one of me and mom in the park. I was about five years old, wearing my hair in two pigtails and I had on a blue dress, one of my straps falling from my shoulder. My moms smile in the picture was just as big as mine. She was such a beautiful woman. Her hair was long and dark, her eyes a milk chocolate. She was also petite. My dad was tall which is probably why I'm average height. Five foot six if you must know. Before I could move to the next picture, a pair of arms wrap around my waist catching me by surprise.

"You never told me you were Italian." Justin's hot breath tickles my ear. I turn around and now we're face to face.

"You never asked." I say leaning against my dresser crossing my arms. "Besides, I'm only like a third. My nonna isn't Italian."

Justin places his hands on either side the dresser, with me standing in the middle. "Yeah? So why do you call her nonna?"

I shrugged. "It sounds better."