Eighteen | "Dude, That Was Close"

I'm standing on Ryan's front porch waiting for someone to answer the door. I was kind of nervous. The Young's haven't had a real conversation with me in forever. The door swings open and I'm expecting to see Ryan's mom but instead I see him. His hair is all messy and his eyes are barely open. When he sees it's me standing before him he smiles and pulls me into a hug.

"Dana, I wasn't expecting to see you. I thought you still hated me after what I said to you." He says through my hair.

"I never hated you Ryan. You're like my brother. I just don't understand why we even had this stupid break." I pat his back.

"I know it was dumb." He pulls away and places his hands on my upper arms. "If its okay with you, when we get back to school I wanna hang out like we use to. I miss you."

"I miss you too Ry." I say quietly.

His smile vanishes, turning into a frown when he sees Justin standing behind me. "Justin? What're you doing here?"

Justin steps forward and gives Ryan that brotherly hug thing that guys do. "Hey man. Dana invited me. I couldn't get home for the holidays."

"Damn, that sucks." Ryan shakes his head. "Well you two come in. It's kind of chilly out here."

Justin and I step into Ryan's house and I immediately smile, remembering the sweet smell of cinnamon. I guess Mrs. Young still lights her cinnamon scented candles after all these years.

Justin and Ryan are talking but I interrupt. "Ryan where's your mom?"

"She's in the kitchen talking to some of my relatives who's staying for a few days." Ryan moves his head in the direction of the kitchen. "You can go in there if you want."

I gulp and walk towards the kitchen, nervous of Mrs. Young reaction when she sees me. I poke my head in, oppose to walking all the way in.

"Hey Mrs. Young." I say quietly, almost inaudible.

She whips her head towards me her blonde curls following her. When she sees me her face lights up and she jumps out of her chair.

"Dana, oh my gosh! It's been so long. Come in, come in we don't bite." She giggles.

I step fully inside of the kitchen looking around at all of Ryan's blonde haired family. They smile looking somewhat confused as to who I was. I guess Mrs. Young notices because she speaks.

"This is Dana, Ryan's best friend since second grade."

They all smile now relaxing.

Mrs. Young turns to me. "So how's everything?"

"Fine. Everything's fine." I answer.

"How's school?"

"School's good actually."

The room grows quiet after that and I shift uncomfortably.

"Well," Mrs. Young starts, not looking into my eyes. "I know you don't want to stay in here with all of us old people. How about you and Ryan talk, or do whatever it is you teenagers do nowadays."

I nod getting the point. Mrs. Young and I haven't had a full conversation. I think she's still just as much in mourning of my parents as I am. Some days it would just be a hi and bye. Without another word I exit the kitchen heading to the family room but Ryan and Justin were nowhere in site. They're probably in Ryan's room. I climb the stairs that I use to run up and down as a kid. As I'm approaching Ryan's room I hear Justin talking in a low voice. The door was closed slightly, not all of the way. I stand by it and decide to spy.