Chapter Twenty: Surprises

“The mouth is made for communication, and nothing is more articulate than a kiss.”

-          Jarod Kintz

When Matt answered the door, the last person he was expecting to see was Arin. He didn’t know why he wasn’t expecting him to show up, probably because he hoped the drummer was just as embarrassed about the kiss as he was. But there he stood, smiling awkwardly, nervously shifting from side to side.

“Um, hi, Matt.” He raised a hand in greeting. “I was just… I wanted to come over and…”

“Hey, kid.” Matt smiled softly, opening the door wider so Arin could enter. “Come on in.”

Arin stepped inside, instantly being attacked with kisses by Bella. “Hey, girl.” He grinned, rubbing her behind the ears.

“Is that a little drummer boy I hear?” Jimmy came into the room, toothbrush sticking out of his mouth.

“Hey, Jimmy.” Arin waved a little, and Jimmy chuckled, running back into the bathroom to rinse out his mouth.

Arin took this opportunity to turn to the vocalist. “Matt, about last night… I-“

Matt held up a hand. “It was a drunken mistake, I’m sure.” He looked at the drummer warily before asking, “Right?”

Arin’s face fell. “Oh, uh, right.”

“What was a drunken mistake?” Jimmy asked, catapulting himself into the room, throwing a shirt over his head.

“N-Nothing.” Arin stammered, glancing at Matt out of the corner of his eye.

They ended up sitting on the floor of the living room, drinking beers and talking. Arin didn’t drink any, claiming he was still a little hungover and didn’t want to get drunk. Matt knew the real reason, though. He didn’t want to do something like he had done last night, especially not with Jimmy around.

Matt wondered if he should tell Jimmy about the kiss. It’s not like it meant anything, or Matt’s feelings towards the younger man were reciprocated. Besides, Arin was probably just curious. He was wasted, after all. But still, Matt felt guilty that it had ever taken place, even if he couldn’t control it. Maybe he was guilty that he actually enjoyed it.

“Hey.” Jimmy said, standing up quickly. “Let’s go outsiiiiiiiide.” He whined, reaching for Matt’s hand and tugging on it.

“To go swimming?” Matt asked, unsure if he wanted to do that.

“To go play on the beach.” Jimmy grinned, pulling his husband to his feet.

~*~

“It’s fucking lopsided!” Jimmy pointed out as Matt and Arin worked to perfect their sandcastle.

“Shut up, it’s beautiful.” Arin replied, patting the side of the castle to make it more stable. He only succeeded in caving in the side, which caused him to frown. “Whose stupid idea was this anyway?”

“Mine. And it’s not stupid!” Jimmy pouted playfully, sitting in the sand next to the pair and placing a shell on the top of it. “See, now it has a flag!”

Matt rolled his eyes, lying down in the sand and letting the other two finish the castle. He found the whole thing rather childish, and was afraid to admit that he had enjoyed it. Jimmy flopped down next to him, and Arin hesitantly lay down on his other side.

The vocalist smiled to himself, feeling a little drowsy as he lazily gazed up at the sky. He could feel himself nodding off, and closed his eyes.

“I like you guys.” Jimmy suddenly blurted, taking Matt’s hand and intertwining their fingers.