Chapter Thirty-Three: Worrying

“But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.”

-          William Butler Yeats

Arin sat at Matt’s bedside, smiling softly. “They said you’re making improvements.” He whispered, “Maybe you’ll wake up soon. I-I had a dream last night, and Jimmy told me you wanted to kill yourself to be with him. But that’s all it was, right? Just a dream.” He sighed looking down at his hands, “It’s all just been a dream, I suppose.”

He reached out and touched Matt’s face gently. “They took you off ventilation, which is a good sign. You can breathe on your own again. The guys all miss you so much, Matt, you have no idea. And with Valentine’s Day tomorrow and all, I’m just worried they won't be celebrating with their girlfriends and wives, because they’re too sad to do much of anything.”

Arin looked out the window at the harsh rain that pounded the side of the building, thumping rapidly against the window pane. “Well, I guess I better go. My parents are expecting me at theirs in half an hour.” He stood abruptly, looking down at the unconscious man fondly. “I’ll see ya around.” He whispered, before slipping out of the room.