Prologue: Stay

“Close your eyes."

Jimmy's lips quirked into a smirk as Matt's hazel eyes fluttered shut. He heard Jimmy step closer to him on near silent feet, felt warm, spearmint breath tickling his cheek. Matt's lips parted, heart kicking into overdrive as a pair of warm lips pressed against his temple. He reached out, blindly wrapping his arms around the drummer's neck.

"Jimmy..." he whispered, peeking at his lover, only to have two fingers gently willing his eyelids back down, kissing them when they were closed.

A seagull cried, and Matt could taste the salty sea breeze on Jimmy's tongue. He wiggled his toes so they were buried in the soft sand, whimpering as Jimmy's teeth nipped at his lip ring. He could hear the waves crashing onto the sand, his pulse sounded just as loud.

"I love you, Matt." Jimmy murmured against Matt's lips. "Do you know how much I love you?"

Matt kissed Jimmy gently, shivering as calloused fingers danced down his sides. "Y-Yes." he mumbled, nearly melting as Jimmy bit down gently on his earlobe.

"Hm? How much?" Jimmy asked, trailing kisses down to mouth along the lettering at the top of Matt's chest.

Matt arched his back, longing to watch Jimmy's lips move across his skin. But he kept his eyes closed, running his fingers through his lover's silky hair. "A-A lot?" he guessed.

Jimmy laughed, a beautiful sound that warmed Matt's heart. He kissed back up the vocalist's neck, and gently guided the younger man so he was lying in the sand. Matt's breath caught in his throat as a pair of legs straddled his thighs. Jimmy's tongue flicked over the shell of Matt's ear, and he whispered, "Do you know how hot it would be if I fucked you right here on the beach?"

Matt moaned lightly, mumbling, "Th-That'd be nice..."

"Mmm, yeah it would." Jimmy nibbled along Matt's neck, sucking at his pulse point. "It's such a shame that I can't."

Matt whimpered, threading his fingers in Jimmy's hair. "B-But..."

"Public property. We're scaring the little kiddos enough already."

Matt groaned, "Fuck you, Sullivan, there's no one on this beach."

The vocalist felt Jimmy's lips quirk into a grin against his skin, "I know, I just like teasing you."

Soft, rose petal lips caressed Matt's own and he smiled softly, opening his hazel eyes to meet Jimmy's aqua ones.

"Hey, I told you to keep your eyes closed!" Jimmy pouted playfully, and Matt tilted his head to kiss Jimmy's jaw.

"Tough." he muttered with a giggle. Matt noticed Jimmy's sky blue eyes shining behind their frames, and a tear streaked down his cheek.

"Hey, Jimbo..." Matt said softly, pushing Jimmy up so he could sit properly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

"No, it's not that." Jimmy whispered, taking off his glasses to wipe at his eyes. "I just... god, Mattie, I just love you so much, and I don't want to leave you."

Matt had forgotten about that. The realization that Jimmy would be leaving crushed him, and he sighed sadly.

"I don't want you to leave either, Jimmy." Matt clung to the drummer, whispering, "Is there any way you could stay a little extra ? Even just one day?"

A tear fell from the taller man's liquid sapphire eyes, and landed on the vocalist's cheek. "I-I can't. I wish I could, Mattie baby, y-you have no idea." he held Matt close, kissing his temple and running his fingers along the man's spine.

Matt shivered and took a deep breath, climbing off of Jimmy. "Let's go for a walk, baby."

The raven-haired man nodded, standing and taking Matt's hand in his. The sun was setting, vibrant shades of red and gold and cerise, fading into beautiful violets and blues. The ocean reflected the colors brilliantly, and seagulls darted in and out of the waves. They walked in the shallow water, dipping their toes in the soft sand. Matt sighed contentedly, enjoying the company of his lover.

Jimmy paused, and the younger man felt enticing, minty breath on his ear. "You're it." he whispered. Before Matt could make sense of it, the drummer took off running, kicking up sand behind his feet.

Matt smiled, tearing off after him, feet pounding into the wet sand. "Sullivan!" he shouted, "Get back here so I can kiss you!"

Jimmy laughed and sped down the beach, when he suddenly skidded to a stop. He reached down and picked something up, then turned and started walking to Matt. He slowed as well, shaking his head and chuckling. "James Owen Sullivan, what am I going to do with you?"

He noticed Jimmy started running towards him, and smiled, opening his arms. But as Jimmy approached, dropping the object in his haste, Matt noticed something was wrong. His form was flickering, fading, and Matt sobbed.

"No!" he shouted, taking off towards the drummer, reaching him and throwing his arms around him.

It's strange, being with someone who's returning to heaven. Matt held on to the drummer, but his body seemed to become less solid before him. He could see the horizon through Jimmy, and his voice echoed like it was far away.

"Mattie, I love you." he murmured, lips pressed against his forehead. "I love you so much..."

"J-Jimmy..." Matt trailed off, but he was left alone on the shore.

Matt fell to his knees, tears dripping from his cheeks and falling to the sand. He reached out and picked up the object Jimmy had left behind. A sand dollar, perfectly intact. He held it close to his chest and whispered, "Jimmy... Please don't go..."

He felt a warm sensation under his chin and shivered, leaning into the touch. "Jimmy..." he muttered, and he could have sworn he felt warm lips caress his forehead. "I-I love you, Jimmy."

The presence left him, and Matt stood, wiping away his tears and walking off the beach, dragging his feet through the sand. He paused at the tree line, turning and looking up at he first star in the night sky. He smiled softly and blew a kiss. "Love you." he murmured, before heading home.

A gentle breeze carried from the ocean, ruffling Matt's hair. It was as if Jimmy had heard him. Matt could almost hear him whisper, "I love you too."