𝐅𝗼𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐓𝐰𝗼

After lunch and another swim, they all gather in the living room to watch another movie. Ellie was sitting in front of Sebastian, allowing him to braid her hair, Chris was sitting beside him and Scott was on the floor.

Sebastian braids the hair with ease, adding in new pieces when needed and making sure to be extra gentle just in case she had a sensitive scalp. Chris was watching him from the corner of his eye, watching how careful Sebastian was being.

Chris knew that Sebastian had been through a lot of pain throughout his life. Had seen things that no kid should see. And all he was doing was being gentle.

Chris thought that he would be angry. Screaming and punching at walls. But, Sebastian was his usual self. Calm and collected, and jumpy. He had always been jumpy.

Now Chris knew why.

"Sebastian?" Chris whispers, watching as a small shiver runs through Sebastian's body at how close he is.

"Y..yeah?" Sebastian asks, turning his head and holding Ellie's hair in place.

"I'm sorry."

Sebastian tilts his head to the side cutely, eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. "What for?"

Scott looks between the two and taps Ellie on the leg. She looks over at her brother, then pouts at his head nodding in the direction of the hallway. "Come on. Seb can finish your hair later." Scott says, lifting the girl up and racing out of the room.

Chris thanks Scott in his heart and turns back to Sebastian, grabbing ahold of his tiny, boney hand. "For everything." Chris whispers. "I was... so horrible to you.. I was so upset and confused as to why you would do such a thing... I should've never believed Emily."

Sebastian sighs and squeezes Chris's hand. "I know you're sorry, Chris. I know that you hate what you did. But I'm still not ready to trust you." He says softly, and Chris can tell he's trying not to cry. "I've had my trust broken so many times.. the trust I had for my own father to never go back to drinking.."

Chris nods. "I understand, Seb. Well.. not what you've been through, but I understand why you can't trust me yet."

Sebastian bites his lip, looking into Chris's eyes with so much emotion, it would make anyone cry. Chris gives a small smile. "It's okay."

That night, when dinner was eaten and the dishes were done, Chris took Sebastian by the hand and led him up onto the roof of the lake house.

The sky was filled with so many stars, sparkling like little pieces of glitter and mirroring against the lake. Chris had set out a blanket prior, knowing Sebastian would find it slightly uncomfortable on the roof.

Sebastian was in awe once they were seated, gripping Chris's hand so tightly, eyes wide and reflecting the stars. Chris's heart flutters.

"Look." Chris says, pointing to the right. "There's Cetus."

Sebastian follows Chris's finger and grins. "You remembered." He whispers happily, looking back over at Chris.

Chris smiles. "Of course I remembered."

❀❀❀❀