~ Chapter 21: Bearer of Bad News ~

The trip to the Mantis Village was not as long and boring as the trip to the Archived City was, it took less than a day for you all to pick up camp and then be there by sundown that same day. Grimm and you spent time talking and enjoying your time together as Divine now could just watch from afar and admire how you two worked so well for one another. Though the moment the caravan stopped, you leaped from your spot to see where you had been brought to. You adventurous aura never leaving as Grimm could be heard chuckling at your childlike wonder before he left the caravan after you.

"Careful Y/n." He sighed as you noticed the world around you. A humid area with mushrooms growing everywhere and the smell of a sickly sweet acidic scent in the air. It smelled different than the Fog Canyon, where that was a more fresh and electrifying scent, this one was calmer and even a bit more natural smelling. You spun a bit to let your dress fan out and move with you as you saw how the scenery had changed so easily and flawlessly.

"Where are we now?" You asked Grimm as you stopped your constant moving. As he approached you and looked around himself he recalled his endless knowledge of information he seemed to have about Hallownest.

"This entire area of the kingdom was and in some ways is still known as the Fungal Wastes. Known for its extremely acidic water and of course the mushrooms you see growing as the natural plant. It was shared long ago by the Fungal people and the Mantis Tribe, though after the infection most of the Fungal people perished. So the Mantis Tribe was able to expand a bit more then they had before. Tales say the Mantis Tribe was ruled by three powerful Mantis lords since the Tribe never associated with the Pale King or the palace until after the infection was stopped and they trusted Queen Hornet more. They would keep the separate kingdom of Deepnest at bay since they disliked the king more than they did. It was a decent deal, but that didn't really matter one Queen Hornet came to power. She was the daughter to Queen Herrah of Deepnest and the Pale King, she was able to naturally win over the kingdom again especially with her calm and confident aura. A fierce woman, last I saw her it was..." Grimm trailed off and you looked at him baffled as the two of you had begun walking a bit away to survey the area.

"You knew Queen Hornet?" And he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

"I wouldn't even claim that I met her, I was just a child. It was right after my father perished and Ghost defeated Radiance. Ghost was still a product of the Pale King so in a way they were half-siblings who didn't express their care for one another but it was still there. Hornet helped Ghost get to Radiance within the Hollow Knight and I was there to help them as well, remember? I don't remember much of her, other than her stone-cold expression and smooth emotionless voice as she explained it all to my mother. I wouldn't have picked anyone different to be queen, she ran Hallownest well until her disappearance. I don't think she wanted to be queen and rule like her father did. She renounced all knowledge and honesty of being his daughter, but she always honored her mother and the fearless sacrifice she made of being a Dreamer." Grimm explained a bit more and you were in awe. Queen Hornet was a figure known so well over the Hallownest history due to the rebuilding she helped to start after the infection, it was amazing how Grimm had actually met her and so did his mother.

"That is really incredible." You simply said as you came to a set of stairs leading down to the mantis village from there. When you look down and around, you could already tell something was off. The people below were in distress as male mantises gathered in armor and the elderly, children and women were left to weep or discuss things angrily.