Chapter 40.

Niall stared at the door in which Liam had slammed the previous day. Niall hadn't moved since Liam had left and his eyes were bloodshot and sore. His body was stiff and his muscles ached since he had sat in the same curled up position he had since Liam stormed out. His was breathing was hard, shallow and it was if a giant whole had been punched in his chest ever since Liam had split up with him.

Was that normal? Was it normal to feel like somebody had taken your heart and left it broken? Every time Niall thought about it he wanted to cry and he did. He just let the rapid tears stream down his face, feeling more and more like an insecure little girl but he didn't care. He let the tears come because he knew it was pointless trying to hide it when he was this hurt. It was better out than in. But quite frankly, he was scaring the hell out of his parents. They didn't know why all of a sudden Niall just randomly burst into a fit of tears, or why he stayed in the same curled up position on the sofa for hours on end, staring at the door as if he were wishing someone would open it. They were afraid to ask their son what was wrong in case he burst into tears again.

Nobody would understand. Nobody would understand now betrayed he felt. He was mad at Liam because well...he basically lied to his boss, didn't he? It was Niall who took the blame. It was Niall who said he was the one who started to kiss even though that wasn't the point. The point was that Liam kissed back and Niall took the blame for it yet, Liam still threw it back in his face and split up with him. That's why he acted so badly around Liam. That's why he was...ignorant.

And when Liam had said that Niall was giving him a hard time...that was jus plain spiteful. Did he not know that Niall was going through a hard time, too? Did he not know, that Liam was the very reason Niall was giving him a hard time? That's why he left. He was wanted to be away from it all. Away from Liam. He was just so mad and pissed off.

"Niall, you're scaring me." Maura said finally, crouching beside Niall and stroking his cold arm. Niall ignored her and continued to stare ahead. "At least say something." she pleaded, looking despartely into his watery eyes. "What do you want me to say? That I'm okay? Because that sure as hell is a down right lie." Niall tried to sound strong but his voice wavered at the end as he sniffed. Maura sighed. "I know it hurts but you can't live like this for the rest of yor life." she told him.

What amazed Niall most is the fact that his mum was there for him no matter what. Despite the fact that she didn't have a clue what was going on between him and Liam, she was suspicious. She knew it had to do with Liam yet she didn't dare mention his name. She just tried to sooth him as much as possible.

"At least do something, yeah? Get Harry around or-" Maura was interrupted by a knock on the door and she went up to get it. Niall was grateful and sighed in relief. He just wasn't ij the mood to talk to anyone. Little did Maura know that Niall had decided not to talk to anybody- especially Harry- since Liam had blurted out his jealousy of him. His phone had been switched off and lay untouched on the kithen units. It was about to die of battery anyway and Niall couldn't be bothered to charge it. There was no point. But when he looked over to where his phone lay he realised that Maura had managed to figure out that Nialls phone had probably died and was now sitting charging. Oh.

Something fluttered in Nialls chest when he heard the voice at the other end of the door. Liam. "I just need to give him this." he was telling Maura. Niall could see Liams bright, brown eyes looking at Maura with sheer desperation. As if his life depended on seeing Niall. Maura sighed and turned around, facing Niall and giving him a questioning look. Niall gave her the indication that he didn't want to talk to him, shaking his head. He didn't understand. He missed him dearly, and wanted Liam so much but he didn't want to talk to him. How did that work out?

Maura rolled her eyes and turned back to Liam. "He doesn't want to talk to anybody right now." she said sadly. There was a pause, and Niall could now see Liams eyes starting to water, just like Niall. "I'm sorry, I just really need to see him." Liam said, almost desperately and managed to brush past Maura so that he was now standing in front of Niall.