34

Walking beside the Senju man, Mina felt nervous. She couldn't read him at all as his face remained expressionless. They stepped out into the garden and walked for a moment until Tobirama found a quiet spot in a grove of beautiful maple trees.

"I apologize for the rudeness of my fellow clansmen, Lady Hyuga."

Red leaves fell around them, coating the ground in a rich carpet. Mina picked one up and held it gently between her fingers, picking at the petiole as she replied, "Please, call me Mina."

Tobirama nodded and mouthed her name. She felt trapped by his ruby gaze as he looked over her silently. The man spoke again, "I understand your apprehension regarding me, Mina, but just know that I have your best interests in mind."

Mina allowed a dry laugh to escape as she replied, "Everyone always thinks that, Tobirama."

He wore a doleful expression after her words. His hand cupped her chin as he raised her face to his. In a breathy whisper, Tobirama asked, "If you had the choice, what would you choose?"

The Hyuga woman's pale eyes were empty as she stared back at him. With complete apathy, she responded with hints of despair, "Let's not discuss hypotheticals. We'll just upset ourselves."

She pulled her chin away from Tobirama and looked absentmindedly up at the beautiful falling red leaves. Her future husband felt boxed out, which was something he never expected from the woman. Mizura had told him endlessly of Mina's desire to marry into a powerful clan. He assured the Senju man that his eldest sister would be a perfect match for the future Hokage; however, now Tobirama held his doubts. He didn't even think this girl wanted to be in his presence, much less in his home and bed.

Meanwhile, Hashirama had followed Sen outside, giving her a bit of distance as she fumed. She cursed under her breath and sighed before looking up to notice Hashirama. Her skin immediately turned crimson in embarrassment. She couldn't believe she allowed that man to rile her up so much.

"Your devotion to Mina is admirable," the Hokage spoke as he joined Sen on the railing.

Looking out at the setting sun, Sen replied, "She's my sister. Protecting her is important to me."

"I hear it wasn't always like that."

"Did Sora tell you that? He's always had a big mouth," she chuckled humorlessly.

"Mhmm," Hashirama confirmed. "He also told me that you and Madara have become very close." He sent Sen a warm look, hoping to convey his affirmation of the two.

She smiled weakly before nodding. "Madara inadvertently helped me mend my relationship with Mina. I should thank him for it."

Hashirama was silent for a few moments before whispering, "That day... It was a tragedy. Izuna was the most important thing in the world to Madara. I would give anything for things to have turned out differently."

Sen was quiet. She wasn't sure how to reply, so instead she said nothing. They both stayed leaned against the rail and watched as the sky burned orange and purple.

The brown haired man broke the silence by asking her thoughts on Madara. Sen raised her eyebrows at his inquisition and took a moment to think of what she would say.

"He's a wonderful, strong shinobi. He's very intelligent, a bit cynical at times, but overwhelmingly kind. I believe he would do anything to protect those he cares about, which is a noble trait in my opinion."

The Hokage nodded slowly, his face brightening a bit as he replied, "There is no clan that feels love as deeply as the Uchiha. The price of losing that love can be quite terrifying, however."

"What do you mean, Hashirama?"

"The Curse of Hatred," he replied.

She recalled Madara's words, "Karasu lost his father and brothers in the war and yet he still hasn't bent to the Curse of Hatred." Her mind worked quickly, trying to piece together what all of this meant. She shook her head and asked the Senju man to explain more.

"The Uchiha value friendship and love in a way most people will never understand. Whenever they lose the object of their affection, things turn sour, to say the least."

This must be why Tobirama mistrusts the Uchiha so much, Sen thought. She then asked Hashirama, "Do you believe in Madara?"

"Absolutely. He's been my best friend my entire life. There's no one like Madara Uchiha," he answered with admiration on his face.

"I'll agree with you there," Sen whispered as a little grin tugged on her lips.

Hashirama spoke again after a moment of silence, "You know, in all the years I've known him, he's never seemed as happy as he is right now."

A small grin snuck onto Sen's mouth. It warmed her heart to hear that the man she adored was happy. That's all she wanted for him, truth be told.

The Hokage added, "I believe you play a crucial role in that. Am I right?"

A profuse blush broke out across Sen's cheeks as she stammered, "I... Madara and I are just... we're... we're just friends, Hashirama..."

Laughter filled the air as the Senju man patted Sen on the head and told her that she didn't even need to answer. Sen was embarrassed, but Hashirama assured her there was no need to worry about unrequited affection. These words made her skin grow an even more violent crimson shade. 

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇