33

After arriving back at the Hyuga compound, Sen found Mina waiting outside of her house. Her older sister looked a bit nervous, but smiled anyway as she told Sen what the Senju man had wanted to speak with her about. Tobirama had invited her to join the Senju at their compound for a visit. He said it would be good for her to become acquainted with the rest of the family. She didn't disagree with her future husband, but wasn't particularly excited to meet his family. It would make the entire event seem far too real for her liking. After sharing these sentiments with Sen, Mina begged her little sister to join her at the Senju compound. Of course, Sen agreed.

Whenever the day came, Sen walked alongside her sister through the busy village streets. Upon reaching the gates of the Senju compound, two stern shinobi adorned with the clan crest stopped them and asked their business here. Before either woman could reply, Hashirama shouted their names from inside the gates. He and Mito stood waving.

He ran up to them and gave Sen a big friendly hug before bowing to Mina and kissing her cheek. He turned to the gate guards and said, "These ladies are friends of the clan. Thank you for your diligence, gentlemen." The Hokage then took the girls by the hands and led them through the buildings and to the main house.

Sen watched Mina from the corner of her eyes. She looked beautiful in the golden afternoon sunlight. Her brown bob swished along her shoulders as she walked and the wind pushed pieces into her fair face. Her face was stolid and her pale eyes kept straight ahead. The older Hyuga girl was a master of deception and Sen was unsure what she was truly thinking or feeling.

Tobirama was standing outside of the main house with other members of the Senju clan. They all looked intimidating as their eyes carefully watched the Hyuga girls approach with the Hokage and his wife.

Undeterred by intimidation, Sen gave them all a smile and then addressed the group, "Thank you for having my sister and I. We're looking forward to a lovely night."

The white haired man kept a narrow glare at Sen. He hadn't yet figured out if he trusted her or not, and wanted to keep a close eye on her while she was in the Senju compound in case she got too curious about their clan. He refused to allow Sen to have the option to reveal anything damning about their clan to the Uchiha. It would be a cold day in hell before he allowed the Senju to fall at the feet of those people.

Tobirama then turned his attention to his future bride. She's a beautiful woman, that can't be denied; however, she's far too docile for my taste and I've heard rumors that she can't even use her Kekkai Genkai. I hope I didn't make a mistake in agreeing to marry her. He thought before adding, Not that it matters anyway, this is just a marriage of convenience. We need the Hyuga alliance before the Uchiha manage to obtain it.

He held his hand out for Mina, which she lightly took and followed him into the house. He placed a hand on her back to guide her through the hallways, telling her about the various pictures and art pieces on the walls. She seemed interested, but Tobirama noticed that there was a part of her that was gone far away, lost in a world of deep thought.

Sen followed close behind with Hashirama and Mito. They remained silent, both straining to listen in on the conversation between their siblings. As they reached the dining hall, Sen noticed many of the Senju women's eyes digging into Mina. Her sister had to notice the deadly stares she was receiving, but the girl showed no signs of weakness as she remained impassive.

Sen was impressed with her sister's ability to put on a performance; however, part of her felt sorry for Mina. She's so good at hiding things that it makes me wonder if even I know the truth about her, Sen thought sadly. I wonder where her head is with this whole thing.

The sister's mingled with the Senju alongside Tobirama, Hashirama, and Mito. The men introduced the strangers, who were pleasantly greeted. After a while, Sen and Mina broke off from the brothers and Mito in order to speak with the rest of the people in attendance.The Senju clan was kind to Sen and Mina, welcoming them as friends instantly. However, as the night progressed, delicate questions began to be asked.

They stood in a group of men and women with Mina as the focus of conversation while Sen watched.  One of the Senju men trained his eyes at Mina and began, "There has been an unsettling rumor surrounding your Kekkai Genkai, Lady Mina."

Sen's eyes narrowed immediately as she listened carefully for the next words from this man. He looked down his nose as he asked, "Is it true you do not possess the Byakugan?"

Mina gulped before nodding and affirming that it was true. There was a collective, disapproving silence from the group surrounding them. The stranger then raised his eyebrows and an insulting laugh passed from his lips. "Let's hope that isn't a hereditary trait. It would be quite disappointing, but surely you understand that already, Lady Mina."

Sen watched her sister's face remain uncompromised. She wished she possessed the same composure, but instead the younger sister was seething with quiet anger. The man began to open his mouth again before Sen shot coldly at him, "Whatever you're about to say, I suggest you don't."

He snapped his head to her, giving Sen a threatening look. Their glares remained on one another while Sen spoke evenly, "Mina's inability to actively use the Byugakan doesn't negate her potential to pass it on."

Tobirama noticed the tension across the room. He watched as Mina's face flushed while Sen laid into the guy across from her. Unsure of what was going on, but he walked over and stood by Mina's side before asking if there was a problem among the group.

Sen sharply muttered, "Just this guy being an asshole."

Tobirama felt his bride tense up as she snapped at her sister in a whisper, "Sen!"

The other Hyuga huffed and stormed off, leaving Mina and Tobirama with the group. With a grave look on his face, he informed the Senju around them that Mina and Sen guests of his and the Hokage's, and they would be treated as such. Eyes around the circle dropped and they submissively nodded while apologizing.

Tobirama then laid a hand on Mina's shoulder and spoke, "Come with me."

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇

Hope everyone is safe out there! Do your civic duty and social distance! Only together can we flatten the curve! 🌿