21

The next few weeks passed uneventfully. Sen and Madara spent as much time as they could together; however, between leading the Uchiha clan and helping Hashirama with the village, time was sparse. Sen didn't mind though, she was just happy with the moments she could steal from him.

She was putting the final touches on her father's office, setting everything up for the Hyuga clan's arrival tomorrow. She was looking forward to seeing her family again, even Mizura and Mina. Her fingertips ran across the dark smooth wood of the desk and she smiled to herself, happy with her hard work. In the past week, Sora and Sen had set up the entire Hyuga family's compound with the help of Hashirama, his wife Mito, and Madara. So tonight, to thank them for their help, Sen and Sora had invited the trio over for dinner. Tobirama would also be joining them, to Sen's displeasure.

Sen helped Sora finish setting the large table in the formal dining space before excusing herself to get dressed. She slipped a maroon haori on over her cream kimono before fixing her hair and face. As she looked over herself in the mirror, her mind beginning to wander, she was broken from her trance by a knock on her door.

Madara, she thought with a smile. She had felt ten-fold better since speaking with Sora. His words had resounded with her and made her stop and reconsider her actions. She had been acting out of fear, an emotion she refused to let orchestrate her life. She floated to the front door with a bright grin on her face, excited to see the man she dared call her lover.

He looked content as he leaned against the wooden column outside her door. He had been looking forward to seeing Sen all day, and he was barely able to contain his joy whenever she answered the door. She's breathtaking, Madara thought as he greeted her with a soft peck on the cheek.

"You look lovely, Sen."

A blush crept onto her skin, settling itself on her cheeks. She tried to suppress it; however, Madara began to chuckle at her predicament. She playfully pushed him and feigned anger, denying she was embarrassed. Grabbing his hand roughly while he continued to laugh, she pulled him towards the formal hall. "Shut up and come on, Uchiha."

He followed her, draping an arm around her shoulder while they walked. As they reached the large doors, she turned to Madara and put on a serious expression. She informed him that Tobirama would also be joining them against her best efforts. Madara was obviously displeased by this news and his face fell a bit before he swallowed hard and gave an affirming nod and said, "Tobirama is an afterthought when you're beside me, Sen. Don't worry. I'll behave." He winked, smoothed a loose strand of her hair, and finally gave her a proper kiss on the lips before entering the room.

Inside, Hashirama and Sora had already opened a bottle of sake and were urging Tobirama to partake. Silence fell on the room as the Uchiha and Hyuga pair entered. Tobirama's eyes were stuck on Madara in contempt while he pitied Sen. She's so naive. She has no idea what kind of animal the Uchiha is. What a shame...

"Madara! Sen! Have a drink!" Sora cheered, passing them both cups of sake.

Sen snickered at her already buzzed brother and tapped his cup with her own before drinking the liquor. Her and Madara took their places at the table beside one another while Sora watched with a smile. She does look happy with him... And he looks at peace beside her, he thought. Who knows, maybe Father will get an Uchiha son-in-law after all.

Dinner began smoothly. Hashirama and Sora entertained the group with embarrassing stories of their siblings, which annoyed Tobirama and Sen but amused Madara and Mito. During one of Hashirama's tales, Madara leaned over to Sen and chuckled lightly in her ear, "You've been troublesome from the beginning, hmm?"

She raised an eyebrow as a smirk crawled onto her face. She winked at him from the corner of her eye before laughing softly. Her hand slid to his and their fingers intertwined gently. He gave her little hand a squeeze and smiled to himself. This woman makes me feel complete again. I never thought that would be possible after losing Izuna. His glanced over to her, watching her laugh animatedly at a joke Mito made at Hashirama's expense.

Hashirama and Sora went to pick another bottle of sake from Sora's place, leaving Mito, Madara, Sen, and Tobirama. They continued to chat until there was a lull in conversation that Tobirama decided to take advantage of.

He turned his attention to the Hyuga woman and asked, "Sen, do you have any plans regarding your future in the village?"

She knit her eyebrows together at his question and she felt Madara's hand tense around hers. Her reply was even: "I intend on creating a full life here. Wasn't that the point?"

Tobirama shook his head with a laugh. "That isn't exactly what I meant. Allow me to word my question better..." he paused, his careful red eyes locking on Sen. "I would like for you to join the Anbu. That is, if you will accept?"

"Thank you... but I'm not strong enough to be an Anbu?" she replied in confusion.

"Don't sell yourself so short," he scolded her. "Under my training, you could excel beyond your wildest imagination. Sora has told me of your ability to use multiple chakra natures." His attention turned to Madara, "I'm sure you would agree that Sen would make a lovely member of my team."

You smug asshole, Madara growled in his head. He knew Tobirama was hoping that Madara would show his temper. The last thing he wanted was to give the Senju pleasure. He kept a cool expression and responded, "I believe that she can do anything she sets her mind to."

Sen returned Madara's smile while her cheeks blushed subtly. She looked back to Tobirama and thanked him, but declined his offer. "Being in the Anbu would be a great honor; however, I don't want the restrictive life it comes with. I'm sorry, Tobirama."

A flash of anger and disbelief cross the Senju man's face; however, he recomposed himself quickly and spoke, "I understand."

However, he did not. He couldn't begin to understand her. She sat beside the Uchiha at such ease, holding his hand and laughing at him. She was a woman worthy of a good, just man, not someone as ruthless and manipulative as Madara Uchiha. 

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇