12

Sen and Sora were wide-eyed at the size of the village. Buildings weaved together, creating labyrinth streets lined with lush trees and busy shops. Delicious smells wafted across Sen's nose as they passed the various restaurants. Her mouth watered when they passed a ramen shop and Sen made a mental note to come back and try their noodles.

They crossed a little river that transversed the city in a slender blue ribbon. Following the water, they came upon a hot spring and bath house. Sen groaned as her eyes fell on the steaming water. She wanted to strip her clothes and sink her bare body into the warm water so it could soak into her tired bones. She elbowed Sora and ordered him, "We're coming back here first thing."

"Yes, ma'am," he chuckled good-naturedly in response.

The four continued through the city, Hashirama and Madara being shown the highest respect by each member of the village. Silence fell and bows were presented to the group as they passed through the corridors. Hashirama greeted everyone with charisma while Madara simply nodded and gave a forced smile every now and then.

Light and dark, Sen thought, watching the two friends.

The streets began thinning with people as they reached vacant buildings on desolate streets. Sen looked around at the change in scenery and questioned, "Where is everyone?"

"This is the Hyuga compound! Well, at least I hope it will be..." Hashirama stated proudly before dropping his voice. "I built it for your clan. You two are the first occupants."

Hashirama led them to a grand complex of buildings and informed them that it was their new home.

Sen's eyes widened. "This is one house?"

Madara let an airy laugh pass through his lips. He had enjoyed watching her shocked reactions after seeing the expanse of Konoha. He wanted her to love this village as much as he and Hashirama did. So far, it seemed that his aspirations would prove fruitful.

"Wow," Sora commented. "It's amazing. Thank you, Madara, Hashirama."

"It's all Hashirama," Madara spoke. "Without his Wood Release none of this would have been possible."

Hashirama beamed at his friend and slung an arm over his shoulder. He countered, "Really you should thank Madara. He was the designer while I was more of the carpenter."

Madara thanked Hashirama with a smile. The men showed Sen and Sora throughout the tangle of buildings that comprised their home. There were eight buildings arranged in a square, all connected by open air hallways. In the center of the compound there was a grassy area as well as a sakura grove and a small pond in the southern corner.

"What are all these buildings?" Sora asked.

Madara answered, "Six are private living spaces complete with kitchens, bathrooms, sitting rooms, and bedrooms. One is a communal building for your father's office and meeting rooms, as well as a formal entertaining space on the first floor. The last are also living spaces for any servants or help that your family may have."

"This is an upgrade from our bedrooms, huh?" Sen asked Sora through the side of her mouth.

They grinned goofily at one another. Sen and Sora thanked their hosts and threw their belongings into their new apartments. They chose the two apartments in the corner with the sakura grove and pond.

Hashirama left the welcome tour to Madara, who protested but to no avail. He stood outside in the garden, leaning against a wooden column beside the pond. He stretched, feeling the tension in his neck roll away. He had been on alert the remainder of the journey in case of another attack, so it was nice to finally relax a bit.

"You can come in, you know?" Sen teased from her doorway.

He accepted her offer and took a place in her sitting room.

"So, Madara, where do you live?" Sen asked, situating herself across from him.

The late afternoon light poured in, bathing her skin in warmth and causing her eyes to almost take his breath away. The color of the sunlight shone in her eyes, warming them into shimmering gold accenting a pale lavender tint. He had never seen anything so fascinating as the Hyuga eyes in sunlight.

Sen had taken her hair down and allowed it to spill across her back and shoulders. She twirled it around her fingers as she waited on him to reply. Her hands fidgeted with her kimono nervously while he continued to silently watch her. She wasn't uncomfortable under his gaze, but didn't understand why he was staring at her.

He was busy watching her to even notice she had spoken to him. Her mere presence entranced him and immediately sent his mind into a dream. She snapped him out of it by snapping in front of him and saying, "Hello? What are you looking at? Madara Uchiha?"

His name from her lips broke his daydream. He blinked a couple times before apologizing and asking if she would repeat herself. With a laugh, she asked him the first question again.

"Oh, not very far from here, actually. I'll show you one day."

One day, Sen thought with disappointment.

"Second question, why were you staring at me?"

Madara raised an eyebrow and began to deny her, but he had made it painfully obvious. Even someone as manipulative a Madara couldn't lie his way through this one. He answered honestly, "Your eyes in the sunlight are incredibly beautiful."

She blushed slightly as she thanked him. 

Sora joined them moments later, bringing a tray of tea with him. The three sat and enjoyed their drinks while Sora and Sen asked questions pertaining to life in Konohagakure. Madara answered them all perfectly and patiently. Sen noticed the pride he took in the village and made a note to herself to ask him later about the history behind the Village Hidden in the Leaves.

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇