62

The moment Madara heard her cry out, his stomach knotted and his eyes flew to where she was. His blood ran ice cold as she saw Mizura standing behind her with a katana plunged into her small body. Time seemed to stand still as he watched her rip herself away from her brother and stagger for a moment before falling to the ground.

"Sen!" he screamed out, instantly running to her side.

Tobirama was frozen in place as he watched the Hyuga siblings. His eyes darted between Sen, who was gasping for air as she held her bleeding wound, and Mizura, who was wearing a sick smile. He looked almost pleased with his actions as he wiped the blood off of his blade. Tobirama's eyes were wide and his face was ghostly white. He couldn't believe Mizura had struck his own sister so viciously. He sheathed his sword and gave his men a signal to stand down.

"Madara..." Sen choked out through the blood as he fell to her side. He scooped her into his arms and told her to keep pressure on the wound. Her bloody hands grasped for the fabric of his shirt and she let out short gasps as her face began to pale.

As Madara held her, his world began to crumble around him. He refused to lose her. She was the only thing that mattered to him in this world. He couldn't let her be taken away from him like this. He transported them as far away from the battlefield as he could and then began running through the trees at a rapid pace, peeking down to her every few seconds to make sure her eyes were still open.

Her breathing was labored and dark red blood covered her kimono. She raised a hand to his face, cupped his cheek, and begged softly, "Madara? Please... don't be mad at me."

He shook his head and continued running through the trees as he replied in a hoarse voice, "I could never be mad at you, Sen." After he finished speaking, his eyes darted down to her wound. There was blood everywhere on both her body and his. The gash was wide and deep and Madara knew the outcome might be grim. Still, he was resolved to save her life. He refused to let that bastard Hyuga take her away from him.

"Can you heal yourself?" he asked.

She shook her head weakly and said she didn't have any chakra left. Violent coughs began to shake her body and blood dribbled down the chin. She pulled on Madara's shirt and asked him to stop for a moment. He hesitated and argued that he needed to get her back to the village as soon as possible, but she shook her head and begged for him to stop.

He gave in and paused before sitting her gently on the ground. Her trembling body was held up on her hands and knees as she coughed up blood. She felt dizzy and knew that the poison Mizura used was beginning to take effect. There was no making it to the village. She would be dead before they even got near the gates. Tears sprung to her eyes as she fell back against a tree and held her stomach, slowing the blood loss as much as she could.

"Sen! Come on, we have to go... I have to get you back to Konoha..." Madara pleaded with her, kneeling in front of the girl.

With her eyes closed, she shook her head and whispered raggedly, "There's nothing that can be done, Madara... His blade... Is coated in poison."

She whimpered softly in pain as she pulled herself toward her lover. His eyes were glistening with tears as her head fell forward onto his shoulder. In a calm, warm voice, she whispered, "I love you, Madara. That would have never changed."

Tears slipped down his face as he croaked back, "Stop talking like you're going to die."

"I am dying."

"Sen," he implored softly.

She weakly held his face in her bloody hands, ignoring that she was making a mess of him. She didn't care; she only wanted to feel him as much as she could before it was all over. She wanted more time with him, but she was sure even forever would never be long enough.

"Madara..." she ignored his plea. "Tell them how much I love them..."

He held her dying body in his arms and shook his head, asking her to stop talking like this. She pressed a soft kiss to his cheek and continued on, wanting to get her final thoughts out as best she could.

"Make sure Karasu knows how proud I am to have been his sensei... that I never intended to leave him..."

"Sen..."

She coughed up more blood and wiped it away with the sleeve of her kimono before panting gently, "And Yama... tell him to keep his head and he'll be fine... that I believe in him..."

As she spoke, Madara's heart was shattering. He knew she would be gone soon, and the prospect of life without her pained him beyond comprehension. She was the love of his life... The only woman who could ever tame his ruthless heart.

"Tell Yuudai to stay open-hearted and kind, but I know with Sora around he always will..."

"Sora," his name passed from her mouth sadly. "Please make sure my brother knows how much he meant to me... how lucky am I to be his best friend..."

Finally, her frail, teary white eyes met his and she held his cheek in her palm. She whispered softly, "And you... I only wish we could have more time together. That's selfish though, isn't it?"

"Not at all," he choked out breathlessly.

A soft laugh came from her mouth before she spoke again, "For every star in the sky, that's how many lifetimes I'll love you, Madara Uchiha."

The Uchiha clan leader tried not to break down as she told him this. He pulled her close to his chest and softly cried out that he loved her, that he needed her, and wanted her to stay here with him.

She whispered back, "I don't want to go, Madara..."

"Please, let me take you back... We can figure something out. Hashirama can heal you!" he exclaimed as he persuaded her to crawl back into his arms.

She declined his offer as she could slowly feel her life slipping away. There was nothing that even Hashirama could do for her at this point. He continued to beg her, but she quietened him with a firm kiss and spoke in her calm, comforting tone, "I'll wait up for you... Just take your time, my love."

Her eyes began to flutter closed and her breathing slowed. He called her name over and over, repeating that he loved her now and forever. A final smile spread across her face as she let her head fall gently onto his chest. A final breath passed from her lips and after that, she was gone.

"Sen..." he croaked softly. His heart ached as he held her lifeless little form in his arms. He held her closer and sobbed shamelessly, letting the tears that fell from his face wash the blood from her skin.

Once again, Madara felt completely lost.

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇