28

Karasu, Yama, and Yuudai continued to train together over the next few weeks. Sora instructed Yuudai in using the Byakugan and earth justu. The Hyuga man was also trying to help Yama hone his fire jutsu; however, the young Uchiha's natural ability had already surpassed him.

Meanwhile, Sen taught Karasu how to control his wind nature and make it even stronger. She was impressed by the young ninja and praised him endlessly. Karasu bloomed under Sen's mentoring, so much that even Madara commented on it one day. Of course, this sent the little Uchiha over the moon with excitement.

Karasu and Sen had just finished training for the day and she invited him back to her house for dinner. They walked together back through the village and into the Hyuga compound. Sen laughed at how intrigued Karasu was by all of the people with pale eyes. His black eyes darted from person to person, his own eyes widening a bit more each time he saw those of the Hyuga.

After they reached Sen's house, Karasu asked with interest, "Are all the Hyuga born with the Byakugan?"

"We all share these eyes, but no, not everyone is able to use them."

"Do you know anyone who can't?" he continued to quiz her.

"My sister Mina never manifested her Byakugan," Sen revealed, "but she didn't want to be a kunoichi anyway."

Sen answered a flurry of Karasu's questions as they ate dinner. He only stops talking to chew and breathe, she thought with a smile. She enjoyed the Uchiha child's company. He was kind, inquisitive, funny, and intelligent. Sen had high hopes for the boy's future.

After dinner, they sat under a kotatsu in the sitting room while Karasu's eyes wandered around Sen's welcoming home. She noticed his face dim after looking at a fan hanging on the wall. Confused in the quick change of demeanor, she asked if everything was okay.

He snapped his head back to her and said, "Oh... yeah. It's just your fan. My family used to have one that looked just like that." He was quiet for a moment before adding in a whisper, "I just really miss them sometimes."

"Would you like to talk about it?"

In a small voice, the Uchiha boy said, "My mom died giving birth to my little sibling, who was still born. My father and oldest brother were killed during a battle with the Senju. A few years later, my brother Kuma also died... after that, I was all alone."

Tears were threatening Karasu's big eyes. Sen's heart was aching as she listened to the child. You've lost everyone, she thought sadly, just like Madara.

A woeful smile was on Sen's face as she told him, "I can't even begin to know what you've been through, Karasu, but what I do know is that your family would be so very proud of the young man you are."

A few tears slipped down his face at her words. His lip trembled as he asked, "Do you really think so?"

"I know so." Sen pulled him into her lap and cradled him in a tight hug.

He mumbled into her shoulder through tears, "Thank you, Sen-sama."

"It's only the truth, Karasu."

The little Uchiha smiled up to her as he sniffled away the tears.

Later that night, Madara came by to spend time with the two. They played Shogi and Madara told Karasu stories about how strong and honorable his brothers and father were. Karasu hung onto the clan leader's words as he learned about his family.

Sen's heart fluttered in her chest while she watched the scene from the doorway as she returned with a tray of tea. Madara and Karasu sat around the kotatsu, their focus on the game deviating between tales of the Uchiha. The clan leader answered all of Karasu's questions about his family while the little boy beamed after each reply.

Sen sat beside Madara after placing the tray of tea on the table. She let her head fall over onto his shoulder as she watched their game. Karasu jumped up and pleaded with Madara to take a break for him to go to the bathroom. With a hearty laugh, the older Uchiha agreed.

"He's a good kid," Madara whispered.

Sen hummed, "Mhmm."

Madara planted a kiss onto the top of her head as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She snuggled into his side and sighed in contentment. She gazed into space, deep in her own thoughts.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Madara asked curiously.

The corner of Sen's lip curled up into a smile as she replied sweetly, "Oh, just you."

"Me?"

"You heard me, Madara," she purred before giving him a soft kiss on the cheek.

His face flushed and he kept his eyes low. His heart was thudding loudly in his chest and his stomach fluttered in a good way. He couldn't help but smile as her small hand laced with his. No one had ever made him feel this way before. He wasn't sure if it was love, but he intended to stick around as long as it took to find out.

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇ 

I'm stuck in an airport overnight

I'm stuck in an airport overnight. Can I get a F in the chat boys 🥺