Chapter 14 - Danton

My heart thunders inside my chest. Someone's here with me. A vampire surely. I am alone with a vampire again. Defenseless again.

  I look at the door, getting up, ready to run. And then Dominic appears.

  I narrow my eyes. What the hell is he doing here? And why does he have a black rose in his hand, playing with it as he calmly walks towards me? And why is he barefoot and wearing white clothes that are not the ones he had when he left? And why is he walking with his eyes closed?! What the hell is happening?

  "Dominic?" I ask, my voice trembling due to the fear I am feeling. Why is behaving so strangely?

  He opens his eyes and I step back, hitting the stone well. He is not Dominic. His eyes are not gold like Dominic's. His eyes are silver, looking like molten silver just like Dominic's looks like molten gold.

  "Who... Who are you?" I whisper. Who is this guy who looks like Dominic in everything except the eyes?

  He chuckles. It's a strange sound. As if he doesn't do it many times. "So fast your little heart is beating, almost as fast as a bird heart. They beat really fast, you know? But don't worry little bird, I am not gonna hurt you. I am Danton. Dominic's brother."

  I look at him without know what I should do. I have no doubts he is Dominic's brother. And Dominic did refer a brother when he told me about his powers. A brother who also have them. But didn't said that brother was his twin!

  "I... I can call Dominic if you want," I say, even though I can't do what I am saying.

  "If I wanted to see my brother I wouldn't have come to near you, don't you think?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

  "Then why are you here?"

  "To talk with you."

  "Why me?"

  "Because," he replies, focusing his attention in the dark rose he is playing with.

  "That's not an answer."

  He stares at me, narrowing his eyes. And then chuckles again. He moves in a blur and suddenly the space between us is a mere inch, with me trapped against the stone well.

  "Let's play a game, little bird. Tell me a secret and I'll tell you one. One I think that might be really useful."

  "I... I have no secrets. And I am not a little bird."

  He smirks. "Everyone has secrets, little bird. It's part of the human's selfish nature. You keep secrets so a part of yours remains only yours, hidden from the world. Your true self."

  "I've no secrets. And I am not your little bird."

  "Well, it is a little bit rude of you to lie to someone who you have just known. But I'll ignore it because you are an interesting girl, little bird. And will tell you my secret anyways. What do you say?"

  He is looking at me but there's no emotion in his face. It is blank, emotionless, a mask even better than Katherine's. I can't understand what he wants from me, why he is here. It is a complete mystery.