Chapter 18 - What did you do?

Trying to ignore the dark, scary thoughts, I wipe away the ashes, throwing them through the window. Dominic doesn't need to see them. And then I raise the old phone Danton gave me. What the hell did he mean?

  Scared of what I might find out, my heart furiously beating inside my ribcage, I dial my aunt's number. My sweaty hands almost let the phone fall when I place it near my ear but I manage to hold it in place. I wait for what feels like hours only to be answered by the impersonal voice of the voicemail.

  Sighing, I hang up. So, my aunt doesn't answer. I close my eyes for a moment, trying to remember Emma's number. I know I memorized it once as a challenge as Oliver said I wouldn't be able to memorize all the numbers in my phone list. But... it was a long time ago. I am not sure if I still remember it.

  Hesitantly, I dial the number I think that's hers, unsure if the person who will answer my call will really be Emma or a old man that will tell me to go to hell. I hope that's the first.

  "Hello? Who are you?" This voice! The phone almost falls in the floor with relief. Emma!

  I feel the tears of happiness, happiness because I am hearing her voice, because she is alive and sounds well. She is okay.

  "Hello?! Is anyone there?" She is starting to sound angry. And still I don't care. It is still her voice, it is still my friend. "Is this a prank or are you just stupid?"

  I laugh. Just Emma to insult someone that might be a stranger. "Emma," I finally manage to say, all the relief I am feeling clear in my voice. "You are fine!"

  "Of course I am fine! What did you expect?! To be talking with a dead body? Now can you please tell me  who in the hell you are before I hung up?"

  Can you tell me who in the hell you are? No, no, no. Why isn't she recognizing me? "Emma, it's me. Kiara."

  "Kiara?" she asks and for a moment I think she is finally recognizing me. "That name should mean anything to me?"

  I stumble back, not knowing what to say, what to think. "Emma, I am your best friend!"

  "Right. Look, I know today is Saturday and all, but being drunk at 3 PM is surely not good to your health, sweetie. I don't know any Kiara and I was having quite a nice evening. So goodbye."

  "Wait!" I scream. She says nothing but she doesn't hung up either. "Do you really don't remember me, Em?"

  She growls, clearly frustrated. "Why would I remember anyone I had never seen, do you care to explain me? Look, if you are not drunk then you called to the wrong person. Check the number and try again. I am not your Emma."

  "Make an effort, Em, please," I whisper, tears now freely running down my face. "I swear you are the right person. I am Kiara. Your friend. We have been best friends since we were children. We know literally everything about each other. Emma, please!"

  There's a strange noise in the other side as if someone had grabbed the phone. "Hello?" My heart skips a beat, fear invading my veins, when I hear this voice. Oliver's voice. "Hello?"

  "Hi. Oliver. It's... it's me. Kiara."

  He mumbles something, the only audible word being prank, and then he says, "Look, we don't know who you are but Em and I were having a really nice evening before you call. So make everyone a favour and go bother anyone else. Thank you." And he hangs up.