Chapter 30 - What do you mean?

I'm trembling in fury and fear at the same time while I look at Danton who is still in the same place, his eyes observing me, the cold smile gone to be replaced by an even more emotionless expression.

And finally the fury wins, overpowering the fear. Getting up as fast as I can, I start walking towards him, the anger blinding me. He killed Rebecca, he is the reason why I'd never the opportunity to know her.

I try to punch him but with a lazy movement he's able to stop me, his hand closing around my wrist, imprisoning it in an iron grip. "Really?" He asks, an eyebrow raised.

Tears, tears caused by the pure rage I am feeling threatens to start falling and I fight to hold them back. "You killed Rebecca, your insensitivity monster!"

He laughs, which surprises me, making some of my anger fade. "I killed who? C'mon Kiara, I killed a lot of people, it's not necessary to add to the list murders that are not my fault..."

"Do you really think that I believe you?" I ask, the venom in my voice surprising me.

He shrugs. "You believe what you want, I don't care. But I didn't kill her. I have a war to plan! Why would I waste time killing people that are indifferent to me? The one who would have problems if she continued alive was Dominic, not me!"

"Rebecca said you lied. That Dominic was the good guy! You used her!" I can't stop the tears from falling after I hear what I said. Starlyn may have been paid by Danton but her words make sense. Her words explain the feeling. Dominic said he loved his mother. Or he lied when he said it or he lied when he pretend he didn't want revenge. Either way he lied, either way he wants something to have done it an it can't be anything good. But if what she said is true then Rebecca also lied or was still controlled when she wrote that letter. Did she also lie to me?

"If it makes you feel better, little human, no one tried to fool you again. Rebecca believed what she wrote."

"How do you know what she wrote?"

"Dominic had paid a vampire to kill her while we fought and as I was controlling her she believed I was the one who paid the vampire to do so. As the jewel she had was false both me and Dominic could hear her thoughts and because of it we knew what she was writing." His serious, cold eyes analyze my expression. "I controlled her because my best plan at the moment was having you at my side. When I understood I wouldn't have you I made a mistake and let you go. It was a mistake that later I understood and now I am here to correct it. Anyways, even if I shouldn't have let you go I did and as so she wasn't useful anymore. She became indifferent to me." A little, creepy smile spreads in his face. "But you can't say the same about Dominic. For him, Rebecca's death would be better than her life. First of all because she would help him convincing you. Or better, her letter that you would only read if she died helped him.

"Why didn't you made the letters disappear, then?"

"Because I believed you weren't important, I believed I could give up from you with no consequences. I was wrong and now I am here, but it was what I believed. And if that was what I believed then what you thought about me made no difference and I had better things to do." His eyes meet mine while he continues to be able to see my reaction when his next words escape from his mouth. "Like a war to prepare."

I refuse to give him the joy of seeing any reaction at his words and try my best to keep a blank space, unsure if I succeed or not. "You said first of all. What else would he win with her death?"

"Katherine."

"Katherine?" I ask, surprised, "What do you mean?"

Danton makes a condescending smile as if it was obvious, as if I should know the answer. But how can the death of the only person Katherine loved make Dominic win her?