Chapter 27 - Nadine

I shut my eyes open when I feel a cold hand touching my forearm, my heart racing. And then I see Katherine's icy blue eyes staring at me and I close my eyes again, groaning. My head! It hurts a lot because of the tears.

"Dominic needs you," she says. I open my eyes a little. Wasn't he talking with a lot of vampires to convince them to accept him as their King again? Why would he need me? "He needs to use you." Katherine shakes me.

I roll my eyes, my headache becoming worst. "Of course I want to be used by him." I retort.

"Kiara, the vampires know who you were and what you did. If Dominic tells them you're in love with him, not knowing your past he'll be able to convince them."

"Why?" I mumble.

"Because he can convince them he's using you to reach the rest of the Hunters." Hunters. What I am or was or whatever. A killer. The one who killed Dominic's mother, made his brother become a monster and the reason why Rebecca is dead. Rebecca is dead. The image of her lifeless body appears in my mind again, tears I thought I didn't have appearing in my eyes.

"If he can't convince them, they'll choose Danton, Kiara!" Katherine says angrily, pushing me, making me fall from the bed. I let out a little scream of surprise and pain when my back hits the floor.

"Why in the hell did you do that?" I yell, the headache obliging me to close my eyes.

"Because you didn't get up! Did you hear what I told you? Dominic needs your help!" She yells back.

"How can I be sure that he doesn't real want to use?"

She rolls her eyes. "You can't. Or don't you know what trust is? You need to trust him. Ask yourself why would he tell you the truth if he pretends to use you!" Let your heart choose your future. My heart... Do I trust Dominic enough to help him being King again? I get up, sighing, knowing the answer. No, I don't. I trusted once. Not anymore. But I'll help him anyways because the other choice is let Danton be king. Let the person who took Rebecca away be king and that will never happen.

"What do I need to do?" I ask.

"Smile and be quite. Act like a stupid girl in love." She answers, harshly.

Stupid girl in love? Is she trying to enrage me?

I walk towards the door, ignoring her. "I think this is yours." She says, her voice softer than before. I turn around and see the letter in her hand. The rage inside me starts to grow thinking she may try to read it. It is private. She has her own letter! But she just places it on the bedside table and comes closer to me. I keep staring at the letter, what Rebecca wrote appearing repeatedly in my mind as if to make sure I do not forget.

"Katherine?" I ask and she looks at me. I think I saw tears in her eyes but if I did, they disappeared. "Rebecca told me you..."

"I love her with all my soul. She was the love of my life." She says, her voice trembling.

"But I thought you still... You still loved Dominic!" I exclaim. She lets out a laughter of incredulity.

"Dominic?" Her eyes are shinning in amusement. "I never loved him like I love Beckie. He was my friend, a very good one, and was my fiancee because of a stupid tradition. But I never loved him this way even if he did." Her eyes loose the shine of amusement. "Beckie was my first love, Kiara. And now she's gone, forever."

"I'm sorry." I whisper. She nods but says nothing, grabbing me, giving me time to close my eyes before she starts running. She said nothing because she also thinks it's my fault. Because it is. All my fault.