Chapter 10 - The castle

"Kiara, wake up," someone says.

  "Just more five minutes, mom," I mumble. And even in my sleepy state I know something is wrong with this sentence even before the person who holds me sigh.

  Although, I am so comfortable that I'll not allow my mind to try to understand what's wrong with the sentence not will let it bother with the meaning of the sight. I move myself, finding a even more comfortable position against the hard chest of the person holding me, and let the dark arms of the sleep catch me again, pushing me to the unconscious state where nothing can bother me.

  "She looks so cute while she sleeps!" The high pitched voice hurts my ears, making me frown and slowly open much eyes so I can see the person I'll send to the hell for making so much noise while I sleep.

  The day light hurts my eyes when I do so, obliging me to close them again for a moment. When I open them again I see Dominic's beautiful face looking down at me. A face that makes all the memories of the night come back, all at the same time, too much information, too much things to deal with and accept. A slightly headache appears, getting stronger as the memories keep coming. Due to the alcohol or the night events, I don't know. Maybe both.

  The party. Oliver and Daphne. Dominic's house. The kiss. Vampires. Dominic being a vampire. Dominic giving up on his freedom for me. Dominic explaining me everything.

  "It wasn't necessary," Dominic says, looking not at me but to the owner of the high pitched voice that woke me up, his eyebrows furrowed.

  "Good morning," I whisper, trying to get Dominic's attention again as I want to be put on the floor so I can see the idiot that woke me up.

  He looks at me again, smiling slightly as if saying good morning, and understanding what I want without me having to ask. Carefully, he places me on the floor. Once I find my both feet on land again, I turn around ready to scold at the idiot, wasn't she the vampire that obliged Dominic to come here - wherever here is - and to bring me with him.

  "It's good to see you awake, sweet Kiara," she says, her voice calm and melodious, completely different from the high pitched voice that woke me up.

  I feel the rage boiling inside me. She used that tone on purpose, only to wake me up. "It would have been better to wake up without having to hear your horrible voice," I reply, hearing Dominic softly chuckle at my words.

  She frowns but ignores my remark, looking at Dominic. "Let's get inside, we have already wasted too much time outside, waiting for you and your little friend."

  "After you, my leader," Dominic replies in a mocking tone he doesn't even try to hide.

  I expect Kate, no, not Kate... Katherine! I expect Katherine to react, get angry or say something about his tone, but she says nothing, turning around and entering in a stone castle, leaving the iron doors wide open so we can follow.

  I feel his arms around me, pushing me to him, embracing me. I feel myself tensing up at the contact, not knowing how to react, what to think of something that feels so good and natural and so wrong at the same time. I got used to be near him during the last month and still I knew nothing about him. Right now I am not just letting a boy embrace me, I am letting a vampire do that. He is like the creature that killed my family, he could even be the one.

  He seems to notice my discomfort because he takes a step back, freeing me. "There's no need to enter immediately. You are free to observe the castle first if you want. It is a truly beautiful view, in my opinion," he whispers, his voice hiding any emotion he may be feeling.

  And even if I had already looked at the castle where Katherine entered, I hadn't seen it yet. Only now, that Dominic refers it, is that I observe it, noticing how incredible it is. Just like the whole landscape in front of my eyes. The old stone castle involved by green lush ivy contrasts with the grey sky whose clouds make the mountains in the background seem to be floating. Surrounding the castle, surrounding us, are tall trees, the breeze making their leaves murmuring, just like it does with the grass under my feet. From those trees come a melody, perfectly in its simplicity, created by the most talented natural singers - the birds. It fills the air with its beauty, leaving a feeling of peace and normality, a desire of lying on the grass, letting it tickle me, and just close my eyes, allowing the birds song to invade my head, fill it with its perfection until there's no room for anything else.