𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚠𝚘: Mashed Potatoes

Violet couldn't focus that evening

Violet couldn't focus that evening. The thought of Freddy is just keeping her awake. They've never spoken before, and one day, he gives her a sketchbook. Why does it matter so much?

She slowly gets up, silently opening her window so her parents wouldn't hear. She turns invisible, then flies off into the sky, finding herself at Freddy's window.

You shouldn't be doing this

She thinks to herself, yet it doesn't make her stop. "Oh. One weird thing. Did you know the Romans used to brush their teeth with their urine?" Freddy asks, looking to a boy she doesn't recognize.

"Yeah. Apparently, it works." He shrugs. Violet curiously watches, a small smile appearing on her lips. "Yup.. Um..." Rosa makes an awkward departure, before the boy walks up to the window, peering through it.

For a moment, violet is startled, until she realizes he couldn't see her. "Oh it's a.. it's a long way down. Trust me, I speak from experience." Freddy states, lifting his crutch and walking over to the blue eyed boy.

"Victor pushed me. They seem nice, but don't buy it. It gets real game of thrones around here." Freddy says lowly, causing Violet's eyes to widen.

"What?" The other boy asks in worry. Freddy laughs. "Dude. I'm just— I'm just messing around. It's, um.... it's terminal cancer. I— I have three months." He sighs.

It goes silent. "Kidding! Again! You look at me and you're like 'Why so dark? You're a disabled foster kid. You've got it all.' Right?" Freddy laughs.

Violet rolls her eyes, taking a seat at the tree just beside the window. "Oh, yeah. That's the..the old Batarang. I mean, it's a replica but.. feel how sharp." Freddy says as the boy examines the artifact.

"I could kill you in your sleep with that thing." Freddy adds, earning an odd look. "You know about Ultraviolet?" Freddy suddenly asks, causing violet to nearly fall off the tree.

"Uh.. no." The boy shakes his head. "How have you not heard of her! Not gonna lie, if I met her, I'd probably shit myself." Freddy nods his head.

"Gross." Both violet and the boy say, violet being much more quiet. "She's so awesome." Freddy smiles. Violet grins, attempting to lean in closer to the window, but ends up falling down, ending with a loud thump.

Without noticing, her invisibility cuts off, so when Freddy runs over to his window, he sees the fallen girl on the lawn.

"Holy shit! Violet?" He asks in confusion. "Oh! Hey— Hey Freddy!" She smiles innocently. "Who's that?" She motions towards the new boy, attempting to bring the attention somewhere else.

"Oh! That's Billy!" Freddy calls. "Wait, What are you doing here?" He furrows his eyebrows. "I was just— going for a jog! And I fell." She stammers.

"On our lawn?"

"Uh.. I like to run on people's lawns.. Yeah. More of a workout than the flat sidewalks." She nods. "Oh... okay then." Freddy sends her a thumbs up. "Just don't go running on Mr. Markey's lawn. He'd start yelling at you."

"Good to know! Well, I better get going now! Thanks for the sketchbook!" She yells. "Yeah, no problem. See you, Violet!" He smiles, waving her goodbye as she runs off.

"Violet?" Billy asks, earning a nod from
Freddy. "I know, right? Imagine having the same name a Ultraviolet. So sick." The curly headed boy chuckles.

As soon as she's out of Freddy's sight, Violet super speeds back home, immediately collapsing onto her bed. "You're such a dumbass." She mutters to herself.

"Violet, dinner!" Her mother calls just in time from downstairs. Violet groans, running down the stairs and taking a seat in the dimly lit kitchen.

Dinner has always been very quiet ever since Sunny's death. No one is ever quite sure what to say. "I made mashed potatoes. I haven't made that in quite a while." Her mother states, setting down the large bowl in the center of the table.

Mashed potatoes was Sunny's favorite. Marta uses the large metal spoon to put some in everyone's plate, before digging into it. "How was school today, Vi?" Jacob asks his daughter, who can't seem to even touch her food.

"It was fine." She responds. "Did you make any new friends?" Marta inquires. "Yeah, uh. I spoke to this guy. His name is Freddy. He gave me a sketchbook." She nods, causing her father to send her a curious glance.

"Freddy, you say? So he's a boy." He says with nearly a mouthful. "Jacob, leave her be. She's fourteen!" Marta chuckles, lightly slapping his arm. "Exactly. She's fourteen." He responds.

Violet rolls her eyes. "Dad, I don't like Freddy. I don't even know if we're friends. He was just nice to me today." She explains, now hesitantly grazing her spoon over the mashed potatoes.

"They seem nice, but done buy it." He responds, causing her to chuckle. She recognized that line. "What's so funny, dear?" Marta asks, shocked to see her daughter smiling for once.

"Nothing." She shakes her head, her smile slowly fading. "Well, it's great to see you making friends, hon." She replies.

"May I be excused?" Violet asks, slowly standing up from the table. "You barely ate." Jacob states. "Yeah, I'm not hungry." Violet lies.

"Alright, Vi. Goodnight." Marta sighs, allowing violet to return to her bedroom.

"Goodnight."