Chapter 27 - All That You Are Is All That I'll Ever Need

A week.

A whole week it's been since I've seen Hunter.

I swear I almost died twice.

Alright, alright, so maybe I'm being a little dramatic. But still, it's been tough.

At the end of last week, Hunter's parents took him with them on a business trip of theirs to spend some "quality family time" together. He didn't really want to go, and honestly, if I'm being selfish here, I didn't want him to go either.

But, if it helps him get along better with his parents, then who am I to complain? Hunter deserves that. He deserves normal. Last time I talked to him, he sounded so happy that his parents seemed like they might finally be getting along. And I was happy for him.

But that didn't stop me from missing him, or Hunter from missing me.

You see, the thing is, I knew I was attached to him, but I guess I never really knew how much until he wasn't around every day.

You know you're really addicted to someone when you've gotten so used to talking to them on a daily basis that, without you even really noticing, they've somehow become a part of your happiness. And when you don't talk, it's like a part of you is just gone. A piece of you is missing. You start to miss them uncontrollably, and nothing is quite right until you're in their arms again.

As for us, Hunter and I discovered this over the past week. It was sort of strange. Both of us were in different places, doing different things, with different people. We should've been fine. And yet, whenever he called, and we finally did get to talk, we both knew where we'd rather be, and what we'd rather be doing at that moment. Don't we sound healthy and not codependent at all?

Needless to say, I am ecstatic that he's finally coming back today.

Right now, I'm sitting on my front steps, looking up at the sound of every car that I hear coming down the street, waiting for one of them to be his.

I'm starting to get a little bit discouraged, when finally, one of the black cars just so happens to be a familiar one.

He's back.

A huge smile breaks out on my face as he pulls his car up to the curb. I stand up and brush my hands off on my jeans, as Hunter steps out of his car.

He's really here. I can actually see him. God I missed him.

Hunter turns to face me with a smile, and honestly, in that moment, I lose all self control because I run over to him and jump, actually jump, on him and fling my arms around his neck, hugging him incredibly tight, I guess I'm just trying to make sure he's really here.

The best part is, he catches me. Hunter laughs, and hugs me back so hard, he lifts me off the ground.

"Hey beautiful." Hunter says softly into my ear.

I smile. "Don't lie. I stayed up all last night talking to you. You know I look like crap." I mumble into his neck, refusing to loosen my grip in the slightest.

"Well, your definition and my definition of crap must be very different, because as far as I can tell, you look the same as the last time I saw you. Beautiful." Hunter replies, giving me one last squeeze before setting me back on the ground.

"So how was the trip?" I ask as we walk back towards my house.

"As far as boring business trips go, it was good." He replies, reaching out and grabbing my hand, lacing his fingers with mine. "I think they actually went a whole day once without fighting."

"Hunter, that's great." I say smiling and giving his hand a squeeze.

"Yeah.. It's a start." He answers, the corners of his mouth turning up in a small smile. I can tell he's happy about this, even if he doesn't want to get his hopes up. "I missed you though." he finishes, looking up to meet my eyes.