Chapter 4 - What Could Go Wrong?

The rest of the morning classes went pretty smoothly.

And by smoothly I mean that Sean and I only made awkward eye contact about 5 times.

Finally it was lunch time.

I walk with Rose to the cafeteria with my lunch, and we quickly find the table where Zack, Jay, and Alex were sitting.

"Hey gorgeous." Alex says to Rose and greets her with a kiss on the cheek as she sits down next to him.

"Woah woah, get a room you two, we don't need to see that." Zack says with a smile on his face.

"Dude, I haven't seen my girlfriend for a whole week. Deal with it." Alex replies, throwing an arm around Rose. I see her blush.

"Don't bother, they're never gonna stop. They're such a couple," I reply with amusement and unintentional annoyance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy for them. Just kind of... tough to be around a couple right now. All it's been doing is reminding me of how I used to be with Sean. Well, actually they remind me of how we should have been and never were. It makes me wonder how I never saw it coming.

"Hey Mia don't be all upset just because you're single." says Jay with a tone of amusement.

Rose smacks him in the arm, and he yelps in pain. "Leave her alone Jay, it literally just happened. Could you be any more insensitive?"

I chuckle. "Don't worry Rose, I'm not upset. I want to be single right now Jay."

"No you don't, that's what crazy girls say. One minute you "just wanna be single right now" and the next you're single and 40 with a dozen cats." he says using air quotes to emphasize his point.

"That is so not true. I just don't want another meaningless high school relationship that's all." I reply, picking at my food. "Maybe I'll just wait until college." I say quietly, more to myself than to them.

"Hold up, there is no way I am letting your high school career end like that." Zack says throwing up his hands in protest.

"How about this? Me and Jay will find you a guy!" He says excitedly.

Of course, I immediately start to protest, "Ohhhh no, there is no way that-"

"Yeah! We should do that! Let's start throwing her name around at practice and at the track meets! See what we can pick up." Jay replies with just as much enthusiasm.

"Wait, but I don't want-"

"Exactly, now we have to be careful about this. The guy will have to be taller than her, and of course not too experienced for her."

Alright, how did I get excluded from this conversation about MY love life?

"Well, they also can't be too unexperienced. Of course Mia's like the most unexperienced girl we know, so it shouldn't be too tough. Well since we know she is, we're gonna have to at least make sure that the guy's still a vir-"

Alright, I've had enough.

"GUYS!"

They both look up in surprise and shock.

"What?" they reply in unison.

"I.don't.want.a.new.guy. Okay?"

"Come on Mia, we can help, and you know it. Besides, what could go wrong?" Zack pleads.

"Remember what happened the last time you said that?" I say as I recall a very similar situation from last year.

*Flashback*

As I approach our regular lunch table, I hear Zack and Jay having a heated discussion.

"I don't know what we're gonna do, I just know that it'd be good for the guy."

"Well who do you suppose would be good for him genius? It's not like we know anybody."

"Hey, what about Mia?"

"What about Mia?" I ask as I set my lunch down and slide into a seat.

"What do you think of Sean?" Zack asks.

"What do you mean what do I think of him? I mean, he's cool and we're friends I guess." I reply nonchalantly and take a bite of my food.

"Do you think he's hot?"

I immediately start to choke on my food. "*cough*cough* what?!"

"Do you think he's hot? Like would you date him?"

"What kind of question is that? Where did that even come from?"

"Alright, let me explain." Jay says calmly.

"Please do."

"Well, Sean's been kind of down lately and he's never really had a real girlfriend so we decided maybe we could hook him up."

"And well," Zack continued for him, "you've never really had a real boyfriend sooo we were thinking that maybe you two could-"

"No."

"Oh come on Mia! He's a nice guy, and he needs someone. Plus, I think you guys could make a really great couple." Zack says trying to persuade me.

"Why should I? He probably won't even like me. I mean he's a cool guy, but there's no way this could work out-"

"But you do think you could like him?" Jay says with a smile slowly spreading across his face.

"Well....ya..." I say shyly, and I can almost feel myself starting to blush.

"Great, that's all we needed to hear. Don't worry, we've got the rest covered. Besides, what could go wrong?" Zack says confidently.

*Flashback Ends*

What could go wrong... it's a funny thought.

Apparently, everything...