Chapter 8 - Can't Stay Away

I walk into school the next morning tired and yawning.

I didn't really get much rest last night. I tossed and turned in my bed until about two in the morning thinking about everything that has happened recently with Sean, how I would be wise to never trust again. When I finally did fall asleep, I had a dream about him. In the dream, he had never hurt me, and we were happy.

People always talk about how terrible nightmares are, but at least with those, you're glad to wake up.

When you dream, usually your life is better there, and once you wake up and that euphoric feeling fades, you're left with this feeling of disappointment.

It kinda sucks.

Needless to say, once I woke up from that dream, I didn't go back to sleep. I just got up and started getting ready for school.

Once I make it up the front steps, I walk through the hallways and remember what I decided last night.

Try not to get too close to Hunter.

I'm a little early, so there aren't many students there yet. I find my locker and start taking my books out of it, when I hear voices and footsteps coming down the hallway.

"We're very proud that you chose our school. I think you'll be very happy here Mr. Scott."

I look to my right and peek out from behind my locker door to see our school principal, Ms. Weston coming down the hallway with Hunter. I guess she's talking up the school to him. I hide my head back behind my locker and just sort of busy myself with my books. Their steps get closer and closer to where I am.

"Yes ma'am, I can already tell that this is a great school, and I'm happy to be here." Hunter replies.

Sounds like someone knows how to kiss up to authority figures.

"Well, I would give you a tour of the school, but I don't really have the time at the moment. Perhaps I can assign a student to be your guide for a few weeks?" I hear her suggest.

Oh no. This could be bad. I can't stay here any longer, she might see me and make me do it. Quietly, I shut my locker door and turn the opposite way. Keeping my head down so as not to draw Hunter's attention to me, I start to walk away until I hear him speak again, and I freeze.

"Actually, that's not necessary ma'am. A student here, Mia Valiente, already said she would show me around. Actually, there she is now." he says and I can almost hear the smirk in his voice.

Crap.

"Oh that's wonderful. Mia, could you come here for a moment." Mrs. Weston says.

For a moment, I consider yelling "You'll never take me alive!", flicking her off, and running the other way. But of course, I don't. I do what any respectable rule-following girl would do. I turn around and walk towards them.

"Mia, Mr. Scott tells me you've agreed to show him around the school." She tells me.

"Yes ma'am." I reply tentatively.

"I'd appreciate it if you could guide him around to allow him to get acclimated to our academy. For the next few weeks, I expect to see him escorted everywhere by you. Since you seem to already be acquaintances, it would be better for him to have a familiar face around. Try to make him feel at home, alright?" She says to me sternly.

I internally sigh. "Yes ma'am, I'll do my best." Then she leaves, her heels clicking on the floor.

So much for staying away.

I turn around to find Hunter only a few inches away. He holds his face very close to mine. Much too close. It almost startles me, but not quite. He's still as handsome as he was yesterday.

"Hey" he says kindly.

"Hi" I reply sort of breathlessly, due to his closeness. I'm suddenly conscious of how terrible and tired I must look and pull back.

He chuckles. "So, Mia, you wanna tell me why you were trying to sneak away before I saw you?" he asks raising one eyebrow and smiling.

I immediately flush. "Oh, that? I wasn't sneaking away, I was just... headed for first period." I lie after a pause. "You can never be too early, you know?" I say with a nervous chuckle.

"Right." he says not looking convinced. "You know, you don't have to show me around if you don't want to. I don't want you to think you owe me something for yesterday or anything - "

"No, no it's fine. I promise. I'd love to show you around. It'll be fun." I tell him with a smile.

I don't want him to think it's his fault that I don't want to be around him. I'll be fine, as long as I'm careful.

A handsome smile breaks out on his face, "Great! Lead the way."

When he says this, I begin to walk in front of him trying to look as knowledgeable as possible and focusing on the task at hand. Hunter follows closely behind me, then walks faster so he can be next to me.

"We still have a couple of minutes before class starts, so we should probably find your locker. What's your number?" I ask.

"Woah, we just met, and you're already asking for my number? That's kind of forward, but okay."

I laugh embarrassedly, "No, I - I meant your locker number."

He laughs, "I know. I found that a while ago. Already have my books for first class in my bag." he finishes looking amused.

I look up at him suspiciously, "You already found your locker, and you already know what books to have for first period? Why do I think you don't need as much help navigating this school as Ms. Weston thinks?" I question.

He shrugs, trying to look innocent, "I don't know what you're talking about." he says, clearly faking. "Of course I need help, the only other reason I would possibly ask you to show me around would be to get to know you. And come on Mia, that's just absurd." he finishes sarcastically.

I laugh. "Of course, why would a guy like you want to get to know a girl like me anyway?" I say jokingly, but in my head I know I'm serious.

He reaches out and lightly grabs my forearm to stop me from walking, and I pause and look up at him.

He holds my gaze for a moment before speaking. "Hey.. from what I can tell, you're exactly the kind of girl I want to get to know." he says, a small smile playing on his lips. It's like he read my mind.

I shyly smile, it seems like a long moment that we're there, until I break our eye contact and he releases my arm. My skin tingles where he touched. "Thanks.." I reply awkwardly and brush a piece of hair behind my ear.

I clear my throat to break the tension, "So, um, we should head to class. The bell should ring any minute now. If we hurry, I can introduce you to my friends before the lesson starts." I offer.

"Sounds good." He replies with a smirk. And we head off to class.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A/N - Hey, everyone, so I hope you guys like the story so far. Please comment and let me know what you would like to happen next.

Should I include more of Sean in the story? or is everybody liking Hunter so far?

Please comment and let me know. I really appreciate anyone who's taken an interest in this story!

I'll try to update as soon as possible, and move things along with Mia and Hunter =)